Skip to main content

Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)

A permanent visa for points tested skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory government agency.

On this page

NSW 190 visa selection process

NSW uses a selection-based invitation process to ensure that NSW nominees are aligned to the skills needs of the state's economy.

Obtaining a NSW 190 visa is a heavily competitive process, owing to a large number of candidates in the selection pool, and the limited number of places available to the NSW Government.  

The majority of candidates will not be invited to apply for NSW 190 nomination, so you should consider all migration pathways and visa options


Before you start putting your Expression of Interest (EOI) in SkillSelect, consider that you must meet the following minimum eligibility criteria: 

  • you must be under 45 years of age

  • you must obtain a minimum score of 65 points in your SkillSelect EOI. To check what points you are eligible to claim, please refer to the Home Affairs points calculator

  • at the time of invitation, you must have an English score of at least competent English. If you are a citizen of the USA, UK, Canada, Republic of Ireland or New Zealand, you are not required to complete an English language test

  • you must hold a valid skills assessment in an occupation that exactly matches an occupation on the NSW subclass 190 visa occupation list

  • you must be currently residing in NSW. NSW will not invite EOIs submitted from people currently residing in another Australian state or territory, or offshore

Key steps for NSW nomination

Submit an Expression of Interest

Submit an EOI in SkillSelect, selecting either ‘NSW’ or ‘Any’ as your desired state.

You do not need to contact the NSW Government after you have submitted your EOI. You will only receive correspondence from NSW if you are invited to apply.

Be aware that most candidates will not be invited to apply for NSW nomination as the number of candidates far exceeds the places available.

Be invited to apply

NSW uses a ranking-based invitation process – you cannot directly apply for NSW nomination.

NSW will not issue invitations on the basis of visas expiring, losing points or eligibility, or living and working in NSW.

Read your invitation email

Your invitation email contains lots of useful information about how to successfully apply for NSW nomination, including how to troubleshoot common problems. The email is sent from on behalf of You are responsible for ensuring you can receive your invitation email – invitations will not be reissued.

Gather your documents

Gather your documents as evidence to support the points claims in your EOI and your proof of NSW residency. See our FAQs website for information about how you can prove your NSW residency


Apply for NSW nomination by accessing the invitation link emailed to you within 14 days. Your invitation to apply for nomination will be issued by NSW to the email address you provided in your EOI.

Invitation Rounds

During an invitation round, EOIs in are ranked within an occupation code in order of:

  1. Point score
  2. English proficiency
  3. Years of skilled work experience in your nominated occupation.

The highest ranking EOIs up to the number of places available for a given occupation are generally issued an invitation to apply. When an EOI was submitted, or amended, does not affect its ranking.

Invitation rounds occur ongoing throughout the Australian financial year – there are no set dates. We will not respond to requests for the date of upcoming invitation rounds.

Because of the fluid nature of the NSW SkillSelect candidate pool, we cannot predict what point score/English score/work experience will be sufficient to be invited in future invitation rounds.

We will not prioritise candidates on the basis of visas expiring, losing points or eligibility, or living and working in NSW.

Alternative migration pathways

NSW nomination for the Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190) is just one of a number of visa options for prospective skilled migrants. There are a range of visas offered by the Department of Home Affairs, including both temporary and permanent employer nominated visas.

You may also wish to seek advice from a registered migration agent. A list of registered migration agents is available on the Migration Agents Registration Authority website.

Top of page