Request accessible format of this publication.
Boosting Apprenticeship Commencements Initiative
Apprenticeship Support Network Information Bulletin
Following are some guidelines for Apprenticeship Network Providers (ANPs) and Training Services NSW staff for dealing with a possible influx of existing worker traineeships in response to the Commonwealth’s Boosting Apprenticeship Commencements wage subsidy initiative. These are in addition to existing State and Commonwealth eligibility requirements.
Apprenticeship Network Providers (ANPs)
- ANPs to undertake thorough capacity to train assessment. In particular, they should check:
- that learners are undertaking duties appropriate to the proposed vocation
- the employer has the capacity to provide appropriate supervision and on the job training in the proposed vocation
- the employer is aware of, and has the capacity to release learners for a minimum of 3 hrs per week with pay, to undertake formal training and assessment activities
- ANPs to speak to individual learners to confirm their understanding and agreement with the proposed existing worker traineeship
- ANPs to contact local Training Services NSW regional offices where there are concerns about the appropriateness of proposed training contracts
- Where a large number of proposed existing workers are with the same RTO, ANPs are to liaise with the RTO to discuss proposed formal training. Any concerns are to be discussed with RTO and/or Training Services NSW
- ANPs to advise Training Services NSW of any employers seeking to establish more than 20 existing worker training contracts
- ANPs to advise Training Services NSW when they become aware that employers:
- apply to change contract type from New Entrant to Existing Worker for established contracts claiming error being made at the time of sign up
- attempt to cancel existing training contracts and then recommence the same person to access Boosting Apprenticeship Commencement Incentives
- terminate current employees and employ a new worker to claim Boosting Apprenticeship Commencements incentives Training Services NSW
- Training Services NSW to liaise with ANPs in response to requests for advice/assistance from ANPs regarding the appropriateness of proposed existing worker training arrangements or formal training being proposed by nominated RTO
- Training Services NSW to liaise with ANPs when advised of possible 20 or more existing worker commencements and check that the ANP has completed thorough capacity to train assessment
- Training Services NSW will undertake random monitoring (post Training Contract approval) of employers who have established 20 or more existing worker training contracts.
Issued: 6 November 2020