In this bulletin:
Date of effect: 25 February 2022
In this Commissioner's Information Bulletin, both the apprentice and traineeship vocations are varied to update the associated qualifications to the 2021 reiteration.
- Gas Industry - Gas Supply Operations – Apprenticeship
- Gas Industry - Gas Supply Industry Operations – Traineeship
This Commissioner's Information Bulletin supersedes Bulletin 536.
The Commissioner for Vocational Training
Vocational training orders
Date of effect
16 May 2014
25 February 2022
Terms of apprenticeship
UEG30121 Certificate III in Gas Supply Industry Operations
- 36 months or until the relevant competencies are achieved
- 24 months or until the relevant competencies are achieved where the apprentice holds UEG20118 Certificate II in Gas Supply Industry Operations
Where the nominal term is:
- up to and including 24 months - 2 months
- greater than 24 months - 3 months
Date of effect
16 May 2014
25 February 2022
Terms of traineeship
UEG20121 Certificate II in Gas Supply Industry Operations
- 12 months or until the relevant competencies are achieved
Certificate III apprentices will learn to conduct gas supply industry activities, including installation, maintenance, fault find and repair, operations of distribution and transmission gas pipelines, cylinders and associated equipment.
Certificate II level trainees will learn entry-level gas supply industry activities in transmission, distribution pipeline and cylinder operations and functions as outlined below:
- Distribution pipeline activities, including laying distribution infrastructure (including pipes); developing gas pipeline infrastructure and reading gas meters in industrial, commercial and rural environments, on pipelines, associated facilities and equipment, and control centres.
- Transmission pipeline activities, including right of way preparation, rigging operations, hydro testing, laying pipelines, operating transmission pipeline construction plant and equipment, and conducting minor mechanical maintenance.
- Gas cylinder operations for domestic and industrial supply of gaseous fuels, including checking, testing, maintaining and filling of gaseous fuel cylinders and the storage, handling, loading, transportation and distribution of cylinders in accordance with the relevant Australian Standards and regulatory requirements.
More about Gas Industry - Apprenticeships and Traineeships
UEGr3.0 Gas Industry Training Package includes the following that supports an apprenticeship, and a traineeship pathway as follows:
Under Training Services NSW transition arrangements, a superseded qualification can be specified on apprenticeship and traineeship applications for up to six months after new or updated Vocational Training Orders come into effect. The relevant expiry dates for new apprenticeship and traineeship applications are listed below.
Registered Training Organisation's (RTOs) may commence training in either the new or superseded qualification but must meet the requirements of the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) to update the enrolment of their students to the current qualification before the qualification expiry date, generally 12 months after the current qualification has been added to the national register. For more information refer to ASQA's General Direction - Learner Transition.
Training Services NSW and Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) transition arrangements are aligned and applied retrospectively from 1 September 2015.
Registered training organisations (RTOs) may commence training in either the new or superseded qualification but must meet the requirements of ASQA. For more information refer to ASQA's General Direction - Learner Transition.
Applications under the Apprenticeship and Traineeship Act 2001 to establish an apprenticeship or traineeship, whether full-time, part-time or school based will not be approved unless the Commissioner for Vocational Training is satisfied that appropriate industrial arrangements are in place.
Apprentices and trainees may be employed under the following awards:
All private sector employers and employees in New South Wales are covered by the national industrial relations system administered by the Fair Work Commission (the Commission). The industrial instrument that applies is a national (modern) award or a current enterprise agreement registered with the Commission. Further information is available from the Fair Work Ombudsman by telephoning 13 13 94 or via their website.
On successful completion of the relevant qualification:
- parties may apply to the Commissioner for Vocational Training for completion of the apprenticeship or traineeship prior to the nominal completion date of the training contract or;
- Training Services NSW may issue letters from the Commissioner to both parties inviting them to consider competency-based completion if it has received advice from the training organisation that the apprentice or trainee is eligible to receive their qualification.
Download a Request for Competency Based Completion form.
For registered training providers which can deliver the apprenticeship qualifications go to training.gov.au.
A list of training organisations which are in contract with the NSW Department of Education to be paid for the delivery of the training is here.
When developing training plans, registered training organisations should ensure that the training program satisfies the qualification packaging requirements and, at the same time, reflects the nature of the business. Training plans should be customised so that the workplace activities support and align with the qualification units of competency.
From 1 January 2015 the NSW Government introduced new fee arrangements for government subsidised vocational education and training (VET). Under Smart and Skilled, all apprenticeship and most traineeship qualifications are subsidised. For a full list of all the qualifications refer to the current NSW Skills List. Information on the types and levels of subsidies can be found in the Smart and Skilled Fee Administration Policy. Training for existing-worker trainees is not subsidised.
A copy of each Vocational Training order is available for inspection on this internet site below or at any Training Services NSW Regional Office of the NSW Department of Education.
Contacts and enquiries
To sign up an apprentice or trainee call 1800 020 108. To find a job in an apprenticeship or traineeship search here.
For implementation of new pathways in relation to this Training Package profile please contact Tony Palladino of the NSW Utilities & Electrotechnology ITAB on Mobile: 0437 396 363.
For additional questions contact us.
Email: Online enquiry form
Phone: 13 28 11