Training during a career break
Update your skills or learn new ones with specialised courses.
Smart and Skilled
Smart and Skilled helps people in NSW get the expertise they need to advance or change their careers.
The training courses were developed by industry, community and job market experts. They cover many workplace sectors in NSW. Eligible students can receive:
- subsidised training across 4 levels of certificates
- funding for higher-level courses (Certificate IV and above) in priority areas of demand.
Eligible students pay only some of the training cost. Fee exemptions and concessions are also available for disadvantaged students.
There is also fee-free training for eligible Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students.
Find out if you're eligible for subsidised Smart and Skilled training.
Vocational Education and Training (VET)
VET partners with industry and government to provide people with workplace skills and technical knowledge to advance or change their careers.
It is an effective pathway into many occupations.
With an emphasis on hands-on experience, courses concentrate on those occupational skills and competencies that are in high demand.
Vocational Education and Training also covers occupations predicted to have high jobs growth over the next few years. These include:
- carers for children, the aged and disabled
- software and application programmers
- hospitality workers
- advertising, public relations and sales.
VET qualifications range from:
- Certificate I, II, III and IV
- diploma courses
- advanced diploma courses.