Insights from the migration of Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District to nsw.gov.au
Learn about the health district’s experience participating in the OneCX Program, as well as their tips for agencies embarking on content migration.
We are pleased to welcome Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District (NBMLHD) to nsw.gov.au. The new offering delivers an improved user experience to the 384,000 residents across the metro and regional areas of the district. It positions NBMLHD as the trusted source of health information.
The learnings and outcomes of this migration, as well as the migrations of Far West Local Health District and Western NSW Local Health District, will be used to optimise the transition of the remaining 12 local health districts (LHDs) onto nsw.gov.au.
How we collaborated with NBMLHD
OneCX Program, Ministry of Health and NBMLHD collaborated to develop the vision, scope and success metrics of the migration. Each team played to their strengths to solve problems and achieve the project goals.
- The OneCX Program delivery team led the user experience, content and information architecture strategy, technical build and change and capability management.
- Ministry of Health coordinated the health program, led the shared content strategy and steering committee.
- NBMLHD was responsible for providing subject matter experts and implementing the change management strategy. NBMLHD also defined the content owners and authoring process once content was live on nsw.gov.au.
Migration goals for NBMLHD
The project mission was to:
- build a website that reflects the great work of NBMLHD
- ensure that it was easy to manage once handed over to the NBMLHD team
- minimise interruption to the important work of NBMLHD in the process.
Key features of the NBMLHD migration included:
- simplified navigation and content structure to enhance the user journey
- improved accessibility and search engine optimisation (SEO)
- lowering the reading age while maintaining tone of authority
- health service directory to help users quickly and easily search services and facilities information via a search and filter tool
- news hub that allows for filtering of news articles and integration with social media platforms
- Work with us section to promote jobs and showcase the Nepean Blue Mountains lifestyle to attract talent
- research and innovation section to showcase world class research, clinical trials and collaboration opportunities.
Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District pages on nsw.gov.au
Project learnings and tips for agencies embarking on migration
Migrating to nsw.gov.au gave NBMLHD the opportunity to change what and how they communicate. It renewed staff focus on the customer and promoted greater cooperation and close collaboration across departments.
“As we were re-writing and re-organising content something surprising happened. We were also bringing together different content owners and subject matter experts to approve shared content on a single page. A redesign of words and images on a website was connecting our staff in the real world and encouraging greater collaboration. Our involvement with the OneCX Program was helping to connect people within our own organisation as well connecting us to our consumers.”Paul Grocott, Director of Corporate Communications at NBMLHD
At the OneCX Program Showcase, Paul shared tips for agencies as they embark on their migration journey.
- Appoint a lead within your agency to focus on project managing the migration.
- Look closely at your website from a privacy and data collection perspective. Locate the expert within your organisation to lean on
- Consider the migration as much of a staff change management project as a technical web design and build project.
- Consider your content ownership model. Will you devolve responsibility for authoring, or have it centralised?
The success of the migration can be attributed to the NBMLHD team embracing the project, trusting the OneCX Program team and remaining adaptive and open to change throughout the process.
“The project was meant to deliver a minimal viable product – a foundation on which we can build and evolve our website, but we got so much more."Paul Grocott, Director of Corporate Communications at NBMLHD