Create NSW provides funding such as grants and fellowships to help professional artists, arts and cultural workers and arts and cultural organisations. This funding contributes to artistic, cultural and creative development across NSW. Remember that:
- The steps below are a general guide to help you find and apply for funding.
- Always check each funding listing in the Grants finder for guidelines. Closing dates, application forms and application processes vary with each listing.
Steps to get started
Stay up to date with new funding opportunities
Think about what funding you need
At Create NSW we provide a range of funding types. This includes grants, fellowships, internships and funds.
Here's more about each.
|How they generally work
|Funds related to priority needs such as disaster recovery
Key funding programs related to arts and culture
See About Create NSW funding if you want to learn more about key funding programs supporting arts and culture in NSW. For example:
Find and identify funding that suits you
Visit the NSW Grants and Funding finder and check for open listings that suit your situation. Check the summary to see if it's open, closed or ongoing.
Open the listing to see:
- what is being offered
- who can apply
- how much you can apply for
- when it closes
- how it’s assessed.
Prepare your application
Always start your application early and give yourself enough time to prepare and submit it before the deadline.
To help write your application:
Open the individual grant or funding page you’re applying for
- Take notes as you read through the listing and its materials
- Use the Guides, Help Guide and Fact Sheets attached to that grant or funding (click on links to download)
- Watch the video resources or webinars recommended on the listing
- Access any assistance material listed on the funding page such as working with children. Check if you need to follow Aboriginal Arts and Culture protocols or other guidelines for your project.
- Gather any attachments, documentation and media files you need to submit.
- Set up an account with Smartygrants. This is the secure online system. where you'll submit your application.
- To access this portal, click "Apply now" in the funding page you have open.
- Once you've set up your Smartygrants account, you can save your application as a draft and come back to it later.
Review and submit your application
You need to submit your application before the deadline for each program. Make sure you plan ahead.
Tips for reviewing
- Go back through the guidelines in the grant or funding page you’re applying for. Check you've covered it all.
- Have ready any attachments, documentation and media files you need to submit, making sure they're in the required format.
- Contact Create NSW if you have any questions. You also might like to get advice from your peers or mentors who have experience in applying for grants and funding.
Submit your application
Your application needs to be submitted online. An ‘Apply Now’ link will take you from the individual funding page to the SmartyGrants portal. This is a secure online grants system requiring a login.
Your submission will be assessed
Your application will be assessed by a panel of experts according to criteria for each program. If it's an Arts and Cultural Funding Program grant, it may be assessed by experts on Artform Advisory Boards.
Even if you have a great project, you may not secure funding after you’ve applied. Sometimes there are many worthy applicants, with only a small number of funding opportunities available.
When will I be notified?
You will be notified of the outcome by email several weeks after the closing date (Check each grant or fund listing for details).
What to expect?
If you're successful
- You will receive a funding agreement that outlines the terms and conditions of your grant
- Read the information for funding recipients
If you don't secure funding
- You can request feedback on your application
- Keep pursuing your interests in the arts:
- Network with local arts organisations
- Apply for other funding opportunities.
- Keep checking for new grants and funding opportunities (see Step 1 on this page).
Accessibility and language assistance - Each funding listing has contacts at the end of the listing. Contact us using those details if you need help, advice, or the documents and guidelines aren't accessible for your needs.