Cancelling registration from interstate

If you've moved away from NSW – or bought a NSW-registered vehicle from interstate – you can cancel your NSW registration by post. Here's how.

On this page

If you've moved interstate

Recently moved interstate? You need to register your vehicle in your new home state. Once you've done that, you can cancel your NSW registration and claim a refund on the remaining period of the registration.

You' need to send us the following documents:

  • completed Request for Refund of NSW Registration (PDF 274.66KB) . Vehicles registered in joint names only need the main operator's signature
  • your interstate address
  • NSW number plates or a surrendered number plates receipt from the interstate authority
  • copies of your proof of identity
  • copy of the current interstate Certificate of Registration in your name.

If you've bought a NSW-registered vehicle

If you've bought a NSW-registered vehicle, you can claim a refund on the remaining motor vehicle tax.

You can do this by sending us the following documents:

The NSW registration will be transferred into your name for a fee, as part of the application and in order to claim a refund.

Surrendered number plates

You don't need to provide a surrendered number plate receipt if you are keeping an existing National Heavy Vehicle number plate and registering the vehicle in another jurisdiction.

Sending the documents

Post your documents to:

Manual Refunds
Government Rebates and Refunds
Transport for NSW
Locked Bag 14 Dubbo
NSW 2830


You must cancel your registration before the registration expiry date to be eligible for any refund. The transfer fee is not refundable and an admin fee applies. Pensioners may also be eligible for a refund in some cases.

Top of page