Starting high school
A guide for parents and carers planning to send their child to a public high school in NSW. Learn how to select a school, enrol and get support.
About high school
High school begins in year 7 and goes to year 12.
Public school education is free, but most schools request voluntary contributions to help cover costs.
High schools are different from primary schools, as:
- classes are organised differently
- there are more core and elective subjects
- they can be larger in size
- students have more personal responsibility.
Preparing for high school
Getting ready to send your child to high school involves:
- understanding catchment zones and how to choose a school
- enrolling your child in school
- knowing how to enrol your child outside your catchment zone, if desired
- being aware of the immunisation requirements
- planning ahead and knowing what to do if your child has a disability or additional needs.
Once enrolled, you may also want to: