Starting primary school
A guide to enrolling your child in a public primary school in NSW. Learn more about selecting a school, what support is available, and what to expect in the first term.
Primary school begins in kindergarten and goes to year 6. To enrol, children must:
- turn 5 before 31 July in the year they start school
- begin school by their 6th birthday.
Public school education is free, but most schools request voluntary contributions to help cover costs.
Getting children ready to start primary school can involve many steps over an extended period. These include:
- understanding catchment zones
- how to choose and find a school
- immunisation requirements
- what to do (and when) for a child with disability or learning needs
- transition to primary school programs.
Once enrolled, there's after school care to consider, as well as: