Enrol your child in high school
What you need to do to enrol your child in a public high school in NSW.
Expression of interest
Before enrolling, you’ll need to complete an expression of interest form (PDF 980KB). This is generally done in March the year before your child starts high school.
You’ll be able to indicate on this form if you want your child to attend their local school or if you’re seeking other placements, such as a specialist or non-local school.
You can list up to 3 schools in order of preference. There may be extra application requirements for placements outside your local school. The school can let you know what these are.
For year 7 enrolments at a public school, submit the expression of interest form:
- to your current NSW public primary school, or
- directly to your chosen high school, if your child isn’t currently enrolled in a NSW public primary school.
Check key dates for applying to a selective high school at the NSW Department of Education.
Application to enrol
Once your child has been offered a place, you’ll be sent an enrolment application form in term 2 or 3, which must be completed in English and returned to the school.
If you need help with English:
- the enrolment application form instructions are translated into many languages
- you can call the Telephone Interpreter Service on 131 450 and ask for an interpreter in your language.
You’ll need to show the school the following original documents with the completed enrolment application form:
- your child's birth certificate or identity documents
- proof of child's residential address (PDF 80KB)
- your child's immunisation history statement from the Australian Immunisation Register
- any family law or other relevant court orders
- copies of any medical/healthcare or emergency action plan
- evidence of any disability and learning and support plans.
If you're a visa holder
Temporary visa holders may also need to provide:
- your child's passport or travel documents
- your child's current and previous visa (if applicable)
- authority to enrol issued by the Temporary Residents Program
- authority to enrol or evidence of permission to transfer issued by DE International (for international students)
- evidence of the visa your child has applied for (if they hold a bridging visa).
Find out more about high school enrolment at the NSW Department of Education.