Prepare and practise
Help your child get ready for their first day.
Practical preparations ahead of the first day of school can help ease any nerves or anxiety your child might feel. It might help to try:
- organising and trying on uniforms and shoes
- packing lunch boxes
- testing out their backpacks
- practise walking or travelling to and from school
- getting to know other students beforehand.
Raising Children, the Australian parenting website supported by the Department of Social Services, provides a list of key points and actions to consider when preparing your child for primary school that covers:
- getting familiar with your child’s new school
- talking and managing feelings about starting school.
Read more practical tips at Raising Children to help prepare your child for primary school.