Temporary housing programs for flood-affected areas in NSW
Temporary housing is available for people in some areas who cannot stay in their homes due to floods.
How to register for temporary housing
To register for temporary housing if you need urgent accommodation, or if you no longer need temporary housing, call Service NSW on 13 77 88.
Due to high demand, pod villages in the Northern Rivers are currently at capacity. New applicant details will be collected as part of a waitlist.
Types of temporary housing
There are different types of temporary housing available for flood-affected residents, depending on where you live.
- Temporary housing sites in the Northern Rivers have temporary modular homes and caravans located at a single site.
- The At-home caravan program provides caravans to residents with suitable properties in the Northern Rivers and Central West.
- Pods on private property are available for residents in the Central West.
Emergency accommodation remains available for flood affected people in immediate need.
At-home caravan program
At-home caravans are available to residents in certain areas who are unable to live in their homes due to flood damage.
You can register for the program if you lived in one of the following LGAs before the February 2022 flood:
- Richmond Valley
You're also eligible if you lived in the Central West before the November 2022 flood.
As part of the program, caravans can be located on:
- a resident’s private property
- a rental property with permission from the landlord
- someone else’s private property (family or friends) with their permission.
The caravans are provided at no cost under a hire agreement. Properties are assessed to make sure they can safely accommodate a caravan. You'll still need to pay your regular bills like water, electricity and sewage.
How to apply for the At-home caravan program
In the Northern Rivers, the NSW Reconstruction Authority has partnered with local Recovery Support Services (RSS) for the At-home caravan program.
When you apply, you will need to supply:
- proof of ownership of the property where the caravan will be placed, or permission from the owner of the property
- photos to show where the caravan will be placed and the access route.
For more information and an application form, contact your local RSS in the Northern Rivers.
For residents in the Central West, email firstname.lastname@example.org for application forms and more information.
How properties are assessed for the At-home caravan program
Not all properties are suitable for caravans. Properties will be assessed on criteria such as the size and slope, and available services.
If your property was assessed as unsuitable, you can submit further information to: