Replacing ID, licences and personal documents after floods
If your identity, licences, certificates, permits, registrations or documents are lost or damaged in floods and severe weather, you can apply for replacements.
Birth, Marriage, Change of Name certificates
Birth, Marriage or Change of Name certificates that have been destroyed due to a natural disaster can be reissued at no charge at your nearest Service NSW Centre. Service NSW can also help you to replace certificates registered in other Australian states and territories or in New Zealand.
Vehicle and vessel registrations and licences
The following products can be replaced for free if you have been affected by a natural disaster or emergency:
- driver licence (including learner, P1, P2 and unrestricted)
- mobility Parking Scheme (MPS) permit
- NSW Photo Card
- boat licence
- Personal Watercraft (PWC) licence
- Certificate of Registration for a vehicle and/or vessel (and registration label if applicable)
- number plates (number plate reissue, remake or hold fees may also be waived)
- e-toll tag
- learner driver log book.
If your passport has been lost or damaged, you may be eligible for a free replacement. You'll only need to provide basic information to confirm your identity and that you were in a natural disaster area. No application form will be required. Call the Australian Passport Information Service on 131 232.
Your Australian citizenship certificate can be replaced free of charge, provided you apply within 18 months of the natural disaster event. Visit the Department of Home Affairs for more information.
If you're temporarily absent from your enrolled address due to a natural disaster, you don't need to update your enrolment. For more information, visit the Australian Electoral Commission's enrolment advice page.
If your Medicare card was damaged or lost in a natural disaster, you can request a new card by:
- using your Medicare online account through myGov or your Medicare mobile app
- calling 132 011
- visiting a Service NSW Centre with proof of your identity, such as your driver’s licence.
Your new card will replace your old card. You’ll have the same Medicare number that you did before, but your old card will no longer be valid. Your new card will arrive in three to four weeks to the address you give us. You can use a digital copy of your Medicare card in the meantime.
Family law documents
If your divorce order, current orders or other family law documents have been lost or destroyed in a natural disaster, you can get a replacement copy at no charge at a family law registry. Visit the Federal Circuit Court of Australia website for more information.
If your current recreational fishing licence has been lost or destroyed in a natural disaster, it can be replaced at no charge. Call 02 4424 7499 or email the Department of Primary Industries.
Liquor & Gaming NSW licences, certificates and documents
Liquor & Gaming NSW is providing the following support to licensees who have been affected by the floods:
- replacement copies of destroyed licences and identification cards
- extensions of interim certificates reaching their 90-day limit
- replacement signage cost waivers or reductions
- financial hardship provisions for annual liquor licence fees
- extra assistance for liquor licence applications
- temporary relocation of liquor licences to other premises.
Liquor premises licence documents can be downloaded for free through the liquor licence manager portal.
For more information, contact Liquor & Gaming NSW on 1300 024 720 or by email with details of your situation. Include ‘Flood assistance’ in the subject line.
NSW Fair Trading licences, permits and certificates
Free replacement of the following licences, permits or certificates that have been destroyed or lost during the floods:
- motor vehicle dealer, repairer, tradesperson
- pawnbroker and second-hand dealer
- paintball marker
- tow truck driver (tow truck operators should contact the Police who will advise NSW Fair Trading)
- tattoo parlour or tattooist
For assistance email, visit your nearest Service NSW Centre or call 13 77 88.
For property licences and certificates or conveyancers licences email, visit your nearest Service NSW Centre or call 13 77 88.
To apply for a replacement home building or trade licence, permit, certificate or card complete the Application for a Duplicate Licence, Certificate or Permit – PDF. Note on the form that the reason for the card replacement is that it was lost in a flood. Please provide your home address if it is different to your nominated address.
SafeWork NSW licences, permits and certificates
SafeWork NSW is offering free replacement of some licences, permits and certificates that have been destroyed or lost during the floods. To arrange a replacement, email or call 13 10 50.
Free mail redirection
The NSW Government provides free mail redirection services to those affected by natural disasters such as the NSW floods. Apply for this service at your nearest Post Office.