Financial support for regional high schools to host events where former students are invited to speak to current students about life after school.
- Status: Open
- Grant amount: Up to $2,000
- Application opened: 5 May 2022
- Application closes: 30 September 2022
The Regional School Alumni Events Program will support regional secondary schools to hold exciting events where former students (alumni) are invited to speak to current students about their experiences at school and their achievements since graduating.
Financial support is available for events to be held before 30 November 2022. The NSW Department of Education will administer the program on behalf of the Office for Regional Youth. Funding of up to $2,000 will be administered by the NSW Department of Education through the Regional Industry Education Partnerships (RIEP) Program. This funding can be used towards event related costs such as catering, gifts for presenters, teacher release or other costs involved in facilitating the event.
Host schools will be responsible for delivering COVID safe events in partnership with their local RIEP Officer or Regional Youth Community Coordinator. In the event of COVID-19 restrictions, schools will be encouraged to reschedule planned events, providing they are delivered before 30 November 2022. Later dates cannot be accommodated.
This program is administered by Department of Regional NSW.
All government and registered non-government secondary schools in regional NSW are eligible to apply (excluding Greater Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong Local Government Area (LGA).
Only one event per school will be eligible to receive funding. Events must:
- be youth led or organised by youth
- involve past students of the school sharing their career story and advice to current students
- be delivered between May 2022 and 30 November 2022.
|Albury City Council||Kyogle Council|
|Armidale Regional Council||Lachlan Shire Council|
|Ballina Shire Council||Lake Macquarie City Council|
|Balranald Shire Council||Leeton Shire Council|
|Bathurst Regional Council||Lismore City Council|
|Bega Valley Shire Council||Liverpool Plains Shire Council|
|Bellingen Shire Council||Lockhart Shire Council|
|Berrigan Shire Council||Maitland City Council|
|Bland Shire Council||Mid-Coast Council|
|Blayney Shire Council||Mid-Western Regional Council|
|Bogan Shire Council||Moree Plains Shire Council|
|Brewarrina Shire Council||Murray River Council|
|Bourke Shire Council||Murrumbidgee Council|
|Brewarrina Shire Council||Muswellbrook Shire Council|
|Broken Hill City Council||Nambucca Valley Council|
|Byron Shire Council||Narrabri Shire Council|
|Cabonne Council||Narrandera Shire Council|
|Carrathool Shire Council||Narromine Shire Council|
|Central Coast Council||Oberon Council|
|Central Darling Shire Council||Parkes Shire Council|
|Cessnock City Council||Port Macquarie-Hastings Council|
|Cessnock City Council||Port Stephens Council|
|City of Lithgow Council||Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council|
|Clarence Valley Council||Richmond Valley Council|
|Cobar Shire Council||Shellharbour City Council|
|Coffs Harbour City Council||Shoalhaven City Council|
|Coolamon Shire Council||Singleton Council|
|Coonamble Shire Council||Snowy Monaro Regional Council|
|Cootamundra-Gundagai Regional Council||Tamworth Regional Council|
|Cowra Shire Council||Temora Shire Council|
|Dubbo Regional Council||Tenterfield Shire Council|
|Dungog Shire Council||The Council of the Municipality of Kiama|
|Edward River Council||Tweed Shire Council|
|Eurobodalla Shire Council||Upper Hunter Shire Council|
|Federation Council||Upper Lachlan Shire Council|
|Forbes Shire Council||Uralla Shire Council|
|Gilgandra Shire Council||Wagga Wagga City Council|
|Glen Innes Severn Council||Walcha Council|
|Goulburn Mulwaree Council||Walgett Shire Council|
|Griffith City Council||Warren Shire Council|
|Gunnedah Shire Council||Warrumbungle Shire Council|
|Gwydir Shire Council||Weddin Shire Council|
|Hay Shire Council||Wentworth Shire Council|
|Inverell Shire Council||Wingecarribee Shire Council|
|Junee Shire Council||Yass Valley Council|
|Kempsey Shire Council|
What your application needs to include
Start the application
After the application is submitted
- The Office for Regional Youth and Department of Education will assess proposals that meet the eligibility criteria
- Applications will be assessed on an ongoing basis, unless otherwise advised
- Schools will be notified in writing of the outcome.
Host schools will be responsible for delivering COVID safe events in partnership with the local RIEP representative or Youth Community Coordinator (YCC). In the event of COVID-19 restrictions, schools will be encouraged to reschedule the dates of planned events providing events are delivered prior to 30 November 2022. No further changes to proposed events can be accommodated.
Tips for organising an event
- Email invitations to past students well in advance
- Identify whether any previous students are NSW Training Awards winners (State and/or Regional)
- Ensure the event is booked in your school calendar and catering, rooms, IT etc. are organised
- Brief students on what to ask so they get the most out of the occasion.
- Ideally break the event down into smaller groups, for example:
- Students wishing to attend university could have a Q&A session with Alumni who successfully graduated with a degree
- Students wishing to follow a vocational pathway could have a Q&A session with Alumni who successful took this journey
- Students wishing to go straight into the workforce could have a Q&A session with Alumni who accomplished this.
- Brief the Alumni about the event and ask them to talk about what school was like for them, what they initially wanted to do when they left secondary school, what further education or work pathway they ended up taking, and whether HSC was important to them
- Prepare a budget for the event with breakdown of costs and consider whether Alumni should be supported with travel and accommodation if traveling from outside the region
- Ensure returning students are warmly greeted and staff are across who is a previous student
- Provide some delicious catering to make the event more enjoyable.
Host schools are required to reference the Office for Regional Youth Alumni School Events program and NSW Government support in media or event promotions. Reference to the Office for Regional Youth Alumni School Events program is to be referenced in the body of promotional material.
Acknowledgment of NSW Government support in promotional material is to include the 'proudly supported by NSW Government' logo. Host schools are required to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any media opportunities.
You can find various colours and file formats of the Proudly supported by NSW Government Logo.
Host schools will be required to report on the outcomes of the funded events. Reporting must include:
- Number of students attending
- Description of events funded, including how the event achieved the program outcomes
- Evidence of financial expenditure
- Photographs, videos or case studies (including at least two de-identified quotes from program participants)
- Reports are to be lodged with the local RIEP representative within 14 days after the event has occurred
- Schools will be encouraged to monitor any longer-term outcomes that result from student follow-up contact with Alumni.