Service NSW for Business provides free, personalised support through a multi-channel service approach, assisting businesses in ways that best suit them.
Support services include:
- a free, personalised Business Concierge service, offering one-on-one tailored information and support
- access to free professional independent advisors through the Business Connect program
- the digital Service NSW Business Profile, making it faster and easier to transact with the NSW Government
- online business information hubs, filled with business support and resources, including dedicated COVID-19 and storm and flood information hubs.
- on the ground support through mobile Business Concierge and Council Relationship Managers.
Service NSW for Business connects businesses with the support, information and tools that make it easier to start, run and grow a business, and recover in times of crisis. To find out more, visit Service NSW for Business.
Personalised and tailored advice for NSW small businesses
Small business owners face many challenges on the journey of starting, running, adapting and growing their business. Business Connect helps small business customers:
- evaluate a new business idea
- develop a business plan
- market to reach customers
- access finance and manage cashflow
- connect to other support to increase the chance of success.
Business Connect advisors provide independent, personalised advice. They have first-hand experience running their own small business, qualifications in a business-related discipline and advisory experience. The one-to-one business advisory sessions are complemented with a range of events and resources that provides practical insights and business skills development.
Connecting businesses with support
Business Connect support is fully funded by the NSW Government for eligible small businesses. The program is one of many ways that Service NSW for Business connects businesses with the support, information and tools they need. Find out more information about Business Connect.
“My local Business Connect advisor really helped put things into perspective for me. She really helped me get very clear with what I was doing, the people that I needed to connect with and how to connect with them.”
– Salma Yassien, owner and founder Herbistry
“I grew up in Redfern and really didn’t have many opportunities. With the help of Business Connect hopefully we can move forward and give indigenous young kids an opportunity in life.”
– Brendan Williams, (Bundjalung Githabul tribe) Director, BY Group
From January 2017 to December 2021 Business Connect supported 43,818 small businesses across NSW
- 265,870 hours of support given to businesses
- 151,391 support hours for regional businesses
- An estimated 28,400 jobs created
- Over 3391 events run across NSW
- 8731 referrals to the commercial sector
- 12,272 referrals to government programs.
COVID-19 support for small business
Businesses of all shapes and sizes across NSW were hit hard by the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Small businesses, the lifeblood of so many communities, were significantly impacted. To survive, many had to reimagine or pivot their businesses and look for new opportunities in ways and places they had never considered.
Aiding recovery and encouraging growth
New programs, grants, rebates and voucher schemes were introduced to support all businesses, particularly the small businesses that employ almost 1.8 million people in NSW. With small businesses comprising approximately 98% of all businesses in the state, it has been the NSW Government’s priority to provide as much support as possible to help these businesses not only recover, but to thrive.
Supporting NSW businesses
The services provided by Service NSW for Business have helped businesses apply for COVID-19 grants and financial assistance and offered guidance on ever-changing COVID Safe requirements. Since the start of the pandemic, Service NSW for Business has helped deliver close to $4 billion in COVID support to NSW businesses.
These initiatives have helped many small businesses recover from the impacts of COVID-19 and encouraged growth by reducing the cost burdens of running a business. Even today, they continue to help keep this vital sector of our state’s economy alive.
- 98% of all businesses in NSW are small businesses
- The number of small businesses grew by 4% in 2021 to almost 800,000
- Service NSW Business Concierges assisted 413,968 business customers
- 515,234 business customers created a Service NSW Business Profile to manage applications for licences, grants and vouchers
- The dedicated COVID-19 information hub received nearly 2.8 million visits during 21/22, demonstrating the extraordinary level of demand from businesses for information and support. Nearly 7 million visits were made to the Service NSW for Business website.
“The application process was seamless and only took me about 10 minutes to apply for the Business Grant and JobSaver. When the money came through, it was just awesome. It took so much of the stress and pressure off."
– Eli, small business owner, Byron Bay
“We have a lot of operating costs and to have a steady income during this time was a big relief. We’re a working farm with a lot of buildings and machinery, so the support helped us to keep the wheels in motion.”
– Libby, small business owner, Ulladulla
Anthony’s experience with COVID-19 support
Like many small business owners, Anthony was worried about cash flow and whether his business would survive during the COVID-19 lockdowns. He tells his story about the support and grant that was available to him.
Find out more about the report
See examples of how we embed a customer focused approach to services, programs and initiatives.
Find out how our customers are experiencing our services. They include the people, communities and businesses of NSW.
Read about our promise to customers on what to expect when interacting with our services.
Find how State of the Customer reports on our goal to deliver easy, effective, and trustworthy services.
See a range of services we deliver that cater to customers with different needs and circumstances.