Skip to main content

Change your surname after marriage

If you are changing to your partner’s surname, or adding their surname to yours, you do not need to go through a formal name change application process. You can use your official marriage certificate to prove your new name.

On this page

Surname options

  • You can take your partner’s surname
  • Your partner can take your surname
  • You can combine your name and your partner’s name with a hyphen

For any other change of name, you need to apply to change your name.

You will need an official marriage certificate

Sample of a standard marriage certificate with green tick, and sample of a commemorative marriage certificate with a red cross.

To update your married surname, you need an official marriage certificate (not a commemorative certificate) from the registry in the state or territory where you were married.

Married overseas?

If you were married overseas your certificate may not be accepted, and you may need to apply for an official change of name.

How to change your surname after marriage

Update your name on your NSW Driver Licence

  • At Service NSW Take your official marriage certificate and current driver licence to your nearest ServiceNSW centre. Ask for them to update your driver’s licence with your new married name. Once approved a new driver’s licence will be sent to you within 1-2 weeks.

Update your name on your Medicare Card 

  • At a Medicare Service Centre Use your official marriage certificate to update your name on your Medicare Card.


  • By email You can also email Medicare Enrolment Services your Medicare Card number, your name before marriage and date of birth, your new married name and attach a copy of the marriage certificate. 

Once processed, your new Medicare Card will be posted to you within 1-2 weeks.

Update your name everywhere else

Next, make a list of other places you want to update your details, and contact them. Your updated marriage certificate, and your new driver’s licence and Medicare Card will provide the proof you need in most cases to update to your married name.

Other places to update your surname

State government

  • NSW Land Registry, for home owners
  • NSW Rental Bond Board, for renters
  • NSW Pet Registry, for pet owners

Federal government

  • Australian Electoral Commission
  • Australian Passport Office
  • Australian Taxation Office
  • Centrelink

Other businesses

  • Banks and building societies
  • Insurance and superannuation providers
  • Mobile phone and internet providers
  • Utility providers
Top of page