Correct an entry to a birth, marriage or change of name certificate
Apply to correct an error on your birth, marriage or change of name certificate.
Updating registry records
Registry records are historic documents and can usually only be amended to reflect information that was correct at the time of the event. Names or addresses of parents, their ages, occupations or places of birth or marriage will not be updated to reflect more recent circumstances.
Corrections can be made for administrative errors such as spelling mistakes.
Making a correction isn't the same as making a change to a certificate, such as:
How to apply
You must provide supporting documents with your application to confirm the correct information, such as:
- migration documents
- birth or marriage certificates of the parents
- other documentation confirming the spelling of names, and the correct date of events.
If you’re lodging your application by post, send clear photocopies of your supporting documents, not originals.
- All documents except foreign passports must be current.
- All certificates with incorrect information must be surrendered to the Registry.
- Foreign language documents must be translated into English by a National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) accredited translator.
Complete the Correct an entry application (PDF 1.96MB).
Then post your completed form (see form for address) and proof of identity to Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages or visit your nearest Service NSW centre.
You must provide at least 3 forms of identification, one of each from categories 1, 2 and 3.
- If you cannot provide identification from Categories 1 and 2, you must still provide at least three forms of identification. At least two of these must be from Category 3.
- If you cannot meet these requirements, please contact us for further advice.
If born in Australia:
Record of immigration status:
|Type of error||Fee|
If the Registry has made an error, a replacement certificate will be made in exchange for the incorrect certificate
If incorrect or incomplete information was supplied at the time of registration, and a replacement certificate is required
|Minimum fee of $60 (including postage & handling)|
- Add $9 for international post.
Processing begins when we have received your complete and correct application.
Please allow up to 3 weeks
Certificates are delivered by registered post. The processing time does not include delivery, please see Australia Post website for current delivery times within Australia or International.
Priority processing is not available for corrections.