Name changes and corrections

Request changes or corrections to the information on a registration or certificate issued by the Registry.

If married in Australia, you can take the surname of your husband, wife or partner or add their surname to yours, without registering a name change.
You can use your official marriage certificate to prove your new name. Learn how to change your surname after marriage in Australia.

We record official changes of name in NSW for adults and children (aged under 18 years). A name change includes amending any part of a name. 

If your change of name was completed in NSW after 1 April 1996, you can apply for a replacement certificate.

Apply to correct an error on your certificate.

You can apply to add a parent’s details to a child’s birth registration that occurred in New South Wales. 

If you have had a sex affirmation procedure you can apply to register your sex as male, female or non-specific.

A simple way to find all the information you need to update government agencies about your change of name.

Top of page