Notifying government organisations after a name change

A simple way to find all the information you need to update government agencies about your change of name.

A man typing on his laptop near a window
Government building icon
Choose government agencies

Select from a list of government agencies you are most likely to notify when you change your name.

Get the forms you need

Quickly access the information and forms you need or download these as a PDF. If you need to certify documents, use the finder to locate your nearest Justice of the Peace (JP).

Consider notifying others

Find a list of other organisations you may need to contact. 

There are 2 ways to change your name

If you are changing your name after marriage, your marriage must be registered before notifying government agencies. You can then use your official marriage certificate to prove your new name. 

If you are changing your name for any other reason, you must register your change of name with the NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages before notifying government agencies.

Top of page