Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188A) – Business Innovation Extension stream
This provisional visa lets holders of the Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) in the Business Innovation stream extend their stay in NSW for an additional 2 years.
About this visa
With this visa you can:
- operate a new or existing business in NSW
- travel to, enter and remain in Australia for 6 years after the date of the grant of the Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) Innovation stream that you held at the time of application
- bring eligible members of your family with you
- apply for a permanent Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) visa (subclass 888) Business Innovation stream if certain requirements are met
To be eligible for NSW nomination for this visa, you must:
- hold a Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) Business Innovation stream and have held it for at least three years
- demonstrate your business activities require a substantial presence in NSW to operate your business and manage its day-to-day affairs
- have been operating your main business actively in NSW for at least 2 years immediately before applying for NSW nomination
- continue to have an ownership interest in that main business
- be likely to meet the NSW nomination criteria for the Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) visa (subclass 888) in the future
You must demonstrate your business activity was undertaken in Regional NSW if you were nominated for your Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) based on your intension migrate to Regional NSW.
If you were not nominated by NSW for your Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188), you must obtain a letter of release from your nominating state or territory on the Home Affairs' Form 1414.
How to apply
You must apply for NSW nomination before before you make a formal application for your Home Affairs' visa.
Step 1: Apply online
Complete our online form.
You will need to upload and attach your supporting evidence with your online application form. See our guide to supporting documents for what supporting evidence is required.
Step 2: Pay application fee
A payment link is sent by email immediately after submitting your online application form. This payment link is valid for 30 minutes only.
Your application will only be assessed after you completed the application payment. To ensure the timely assessment of your application, you must complete payment within the 30 minute timeframe.
- applying from within Australia: A$902
- applying from offshore: A$820
Application fees are non-refundable. Unpaid applications will be closed by our office. Ensure you retain a copy of your receipt as proof of payment.
Processing times vary; however, you can expect an outcome within four weeks from the time your completed application payment.
Step 3: Lodge a formal visa application
If your application is successful, you will notified of your approval by email with a signed copy of the Home Affairs’ Form 1414. NSW nomination is valid for 90 days.
For answers to our most commonly asked questions, see the Business and Investor FAQs page on our website.
Or contact the NSW Business and Investor migration team for enquiries regarding visa nomination eligibility or to update your contact details should they have changed.