Who we are
Our 8 million plus customers are at the heart of everything we do.
Connecting people and government
The Department of Customer Service are on track to become the world’s most customer-centric government by 2030.
We have made online services more accessible to all, added more staff to service centres, and implemented your feedback to make government easier.
As a central agency we:
- set the strategy and service standards for the sector
- provide digital, data, and behavioural insights services for the sector
- deliver services directly to more than 8 million customers.
From safety inspectors to marriage celebrants, from customer service representatives to emergency response teams, our people are dedicated to making the lives of our customers better.
We are working towards being the world’s most customer-centric government by 2030.
We aim to deliver excellence in customer service, digital leadership and innovation in government services, and safe and secure markets.
- establish the customer at the centre of all programs and initiatives across the NSW Government
- deliver a more consistent and efficient digital experience with government
- use data and behavioural insights to drive customer service improvements
- engage more effectively with the people of NSW.
Customers and communities can expect services to be trustworthy, effective and easy no matter who they are or what they need.
Our leadership team
DCS is led by our Secretary, Emma Hogan, and a team of experts accomplished in making practical strategies come to life.
Meet Emma Hogan, the Secretary of DCS.
Emma was the NSW Public Service Commissioner from May 2018 to October 2019. Emma joined the NSW Government after a career in the private sector, working with iconic Australian brands across hospitality, retail, aviation, media and entertainment.
Emma’s career spans executive leadership roles in people and culture (human resources), communications, customer experience, digital, change and transformation. She has led teams of up to 5000 people both in Australia and offshore.
Emma has worked in start-up, growth, acquisition, disruption, maturation and divestment environments. She holds postgraduate qualifications in Human Resources and Business Management and is a graduate of the Stanford University Executive Program.
Emma’s leadership team includes:
- Adam Dent, Chief Executive, State Insurance Regulatory Authority
- Greg Wells, Chief Executive Officer, Service NSW
- Jody Grima PSM, Chief People Officer, People & Culture
- Laura Christie, Deputy Secretary, Digital.NSW
- Lauryn Bae Brokate, Executive Director, Office of the Secretary
- Mandy Young, Chief Operating Officer
- Natasha Mann, Deputy Secretary, Better Regulation Division
- Sarah Cruickshank, Deputy Secretary, Customer, Delivery and Transformation
- Scott Johnston, Deputy Secretary, Revenue NSW.
We are guided by our core values of integrity, trust, service and accountability.
DCS employees* are bound by the core public sector values of integrity, trust, service and accountability. These core values help our employees remain fair, ethical and transparent.
Consider people equally without prejudice or favour.
Act professionally with honesty, consistency and impartiality.
Take responsibility for situations, showing leadership and courage.
Place the public interest over personal interest.
Appreciate difference and welcome learning from others.
Build relationships based on mutual respect.
Uphold the law, institutions of government and democratic principles.
Communicate intentions clearly and invite teamwork and collaboration.
Provide apolitical and non-partisan advice.
Provide services fairly with a focus on customer needs.
Be flexible, innovative and reliable in delivering services.
Engage with the not-for-profit and business sectors to develop and implement service solutions.
Focus on quality while maximising service delivery.
DCS employees* are also expected to comply with the Code of Ethics and Conduct.
*Refers to all individuals employed, appointed or otherwise engaged. This includes permanent, temporary and casual employees, as well as consultants, contractors and agency employees engaged to perform work for or on behalf of DCS.