Registering an imported vehicle

To register an imported vehicle in NSW you need to apply for approval and get a compliance certificate. Find out what you need to do.


Get vehicle import approval

Apply for vehicle import approval from the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications.


Check NSW registration requirements

Before you import the vehicle, make sure it meets NSW registration requirements. Registration will be refused if you fail to meet these requirements.

To get the technical requirements for registering the imported vehicle, call our Technical enquiry unit on 1300 137 302 or email

To find out more about the importation process, read VSI 04 Registering imported vehicles (PDF 264.29KB).


Get a compliance certificate

Imported vehicles require a compliance certificate from a VSCCS licensed certifier.

To find a licensed certifier:


Apply for NSW registration

To apply for NSW registration, follow the same steps for used or secondhand vehicles.

Bring all documents related to the vehicle to the service centre when you register it.

Top of page