Social housing

Find help with housing options to meet your needs. From urgent short-term housing to ongoing public and community housing.

Help to find housing

Domestic and family violence: housing assistance

If you're experiencing violence at home, you may be eligible for housing assistance which can help to keep you safe

Aboriginal Housing

The Aboriginal Housing Office supports accessible, culturally appropriate and affordable housing for the Aboriginal people of NSW.

Help with homelessness

We can help you if you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. 

Applying for social housing

Social housing is secure, affordable housing for people on low to moderate incomes who have a housing need. Check your eligibility and how to apply.

Renting affordable community housing

Find information about affordable rental housing, who is eligible, how rent is set and how to apply

Living in social housing

Public housing tenants

Learn about your rights and responsibilities as a Homes NSW tenant. Request help with your home or tenancy. Or find out more about management transfers in some areas.

Community housing tenants

If you live in community housing, you're a tenant of the community housing provider. Learn about your rights and responsibilities, have your say in how community housing is run or find our about rent and repairs.

Appeals, disputes and complaints

Appealing a decision

Many decisions made by Homes NSW and community housing providers can be reviewed. If you think a decision is wrong, here are the steps you can take.

Disputes with your community housing provider

Find out where to go for help if you can't resolve a dispute with your community housing provider over things like unpaid rent, getting your bond back, or repairs and maintenance.

Make an enquiry or complaint about a community housing provider

If you’re concerned about whether a registered community housing provider is meeting its responsibilities under the National Regulatory Code, you can make an enquiry or complaint.

Information for housing providers


Get information on the National Regulatory System for Community Housing, and find out how to register.

NSW Local Scheme

Get information on the NSW Local Scheme for community housing providers and find out how to register.

Resource library

Access the Registrar of Community Housing’s resource library for reports, guidance and policies relevant to community housing providers.

Providing community housing

Regulation, guidelines, standards and accreditation, compliance, performance management and more.

Access the CHIMES portal

As a community housing provider, your can maintain your contact details, access forms, submit reports and complete performance action plans through CHIMES.

Related information

Help renting in the private market

Check your eligibility for rental assistance or help with urgent rental costs. We can also help people start a tenancy with an interest-free bond loan.

Commonwealth rent assistance

A regular extra payment if you pay rent and get certain Centrelink payments.

Savings Finder

Helping you find NSW Government rebates and vouchers that are relevant to you.

Top of page