About this location
The Collarenebri Aboriginal Cemetery is a heritage-listed cemetery and ceremonial site for Indigenous Australians located at Gundabloui Road, Collarenebri, Walgett Shire, New South Wales, Australia. It was built from 1907. The property is owned by Collarenebri Local Aboriginal Land Council. The site was added to the New South Wales State Heritage Register in December 2014. The cemetery is fenced and contains a large number of graves which are generally decorated with shattered glass and objects relevant to the lives and interests of the persons remembered there. Graves are arranged on various alignments determined by the origins of the deceased, family groupings and community connections. The decoration of the graves is highly unusual and, with the alignment of graves is consistent with Gamilaroi burial practice. The Cemetery also contains a shelter, open sided with a corrugated iron roof where piles of coloured glass bottles are stored. Contained within the SHR curtilage of the cemetery is the road, 'Bel's Way' which leads to the cemetery from Gundabloui Road.
Gundabloui Road, Collarenebri NSW 2833
- Welcomes people with access needs, contact venue/organiser for details