About this location
The Historic Crossing Place is situated downstream from the Leahy Bridge, the first in a series of bridges crossing the Murray in Howlong from New South Wales to Victoria. To the right of Rutherglen Road on the Victorian side, the Historic Crossing Place is a pleasant roadside stopping place. This stop is significant because, on the night of 17 October 1836, Major Mitchell and his party camped here prior to crossing the river on his return to Sydney from his historic exploration of Western Victoria. In 1838, Mr Joseph Hawdon crossed here while establishing the first overland mail service between Port Phillip and Sydney. Later in 1838, Charles Sturt set out to prove the Hume River and the Murray River were the same river. North of the Murray is rich in many historically significant sites such as these, that link our region to the development of modern Australia.
River Road, Howlong NSW 2643
- Welcomes people with access needs, contact venue/organiser for details