Creative Ageing Framework
The NSW Creative Ageing Framework was developed to help increase opportunities for older people's participation in creative activities.
The framework is aimed at government, the creative and cultural sector, the aged services sector and the community.
- promotes productive ageing and healthy lifestyles
- encourages seniors to undertake creative pursuits as a way to challenge themselves, stay socially connected and embrace lifelong learning
- assists with partnerships between the arts and culture sector and organisations that support older people
- raises awareness of the benefits of creative ageing programs and
- promotes awareness to highlight the contributions of older artists.
Access the framework from Department of Communities and Justice website: NSW Creative Ageing Framework (PDF link)
This framework was part of Ageing Well in NSW: Seniors Strategy 2021–2031
Dementia and the arts programs
The Museum of Contemporary Art’s (MCA) creative ageing program ‘Artful’, aims to empower people living with dementia – the greatest cause of disability in Australians aged over 65. Engagement with art encourages mental and physical stimulation and self-expression. See the Artful: Art and dementia report
The Art Gallery of NSW - Art and Dementia program also provides activities and engagement for people living with dementia.
On Department of Communities and Justice website: Sax Institute Healthy ageing and the arts - a rapid synthesis.PDF
Many local organisations provide programs supporting creative activities for older people. See your local community news for details.
Image: Artful: Art and Dementia program, 2018. Museum of Contemporary Art Australia. Photo by Jacquie Manning.