Get a Companion Card
Find out how you can get a Companion Card and download the application form.
How to apply
When applying for a NSW Companion Card you’ll be assessed against the eligibility criteria.
To be eligible for a NSW Companion Card:
- You are an Australian citizen or resident, and live in NSW; and
- you are a person with a significant and permanent disability; and
- You are able to demonstrate that you need a support person to help you participate in most activities; and
- Aids and other technologies do not meet your needs; and
- You are able to demonstrate that your need for this support is life-long.
Note: Eligibility for NDIS does not mean you’ll meet the NSW Companion Card criteria.
Applicants must compete an application form that includes:
- One, high quality, passport style photo against a neutral background
- Have the application form signed by your health professional or service provider.
- Attach any copies of reports which confirm your diagnosis and your support needs.
Complete your application and submit it via email or post, together with your signed photos and any supporting documents.
Note: Incomplete applications, including those without signatures or poor quality photographs, cannot be processed.
Apply for the Companion Card
Download and fill out a hard copy of the application form below and send it to us with supporting documentation.
Companion Card application form (PDF 274.01KB)
Send by email
Send by post
Locked Bag 5000
Parramatta NSW 2124
After you submit your application
Review of your application
NSW Companion Card will consider all the information provided with the application when deciding eligibility for a Companion Card. If further information is required, NSW Companion Card will contact the health professional or service provider that signed the application form and/or the applicant.
Your application will be processed within 20 working days.
If your application is approved
If your application is approved you’ll receive a letter with your NSW Companion Card.
If your application is declined
If your application is declined, you’ll be notified by email or a letter. If you would like to discuss this decision you can call NSW Companion Card on 1800 893 044 or email Applications.email@example.com.
If you’re still not satisfied with the outcome of your application you can request a formal review in writing.
Support and contact
For more information, please see our FAQs or contact us.