Hexham Bridge openings
Opening times, booking details and rules for vessels travelling under or passing through Hexham Bridge on the Hunter River in NSW.
Book a bridge opening
You can book an opening of Hexham Bridge at most times of the year.
To book an opening for your vessel call 1300 661 293.
Book in advance:
- at least 2 hours ahead for bridge openings on weekdays between 7am - 6pm
- at least 6 hours ahead for bridge openings on weekends, public holidays or between 7pm - 6am weekdays.
You need to provide your mobile number when you book - or be aware of the bridge's contact radio channels.
View the Hexham Bridge projects page for any planned work with marine traffic impacts.
Times to avoid
Try to avoid peak road traffic times:
- Weekdays 5:30am - 9.00am and 2:45pm - 5:30pm
- Saturdays 10:00am - 11:30am
- Sundays 3pm - 5pm
You can't book a bridge opening on these dates in 2023 and 2024:
- Sunday 1 October 2023
- Monday 2 October 2023
- Sunday 8 October 2023
- Friday 22 December 2023
- Sunday 24 December 2023
- Tuesday 26 December 2023
- Saturday 30 December 2023 (between 10am to 1pm)
- Sunday 31 December 2023
- Monday 1 January 2024 (New Years Day)
- Saturday 6 January 2024
- Sunday 7 January 2024
- Saturday 13 January 2024 (between 10am to 1pm)
- Sunday 14 January 2024
- Saturday 20 January (between 10am to 1pm)
- Saturday 25 January (between 10am to 1pm)
- Friday 26 January 2024 (Australia Day)
- Sunday 28 January 2024
- Monday 29 January 2024
- Friday 29 March 2024 (Good Friday)
- Sunday 31 March 2024 (Easter Sunday)
- Monday 1 April 2024 (Easter Monday)
- Saturday 20 April 2024 (between 10am to 1pm)
- Sunday 21 April 2024
- Thursday 25 April 2024 (ANZAC Day)
- Saturday 27 April 2024 (between 10am to 1pm)
- Sunday 28 April 2024
- Monday 10 June 2024 (King's Birthday)
Sunday 6 October 2024
Monday 7 October 2024 (Labour Day)
Sunday 13 October 2024
- Friday 20 December 2024
- Thursday 26 December 2024 (Boxing Day)
- Saturday 28 December 2024 (between 10am to 1pm)
- Sunday 29 December 2024
Any bridge lifts on these dates will only be considered if they occur outside of vehicular peak travel times, with requests to be in writing 4 weeks prior to the event. Call 1300 661 293 for details to summit request. Note that all requests will need to be confirmed by Transport for NSW prior to the bridge lift occurring.
- Citizen band - channel 29
- VHF marine band - channel 74
- 27MHZ marine band - channel 88.
Vessel operators are to:
- observe navigation rules when approaching the bridge
- wait for a green light before proceeding. Transport for NSW will be notified of any serious breaches
- give right of passage to vessels travelling with the direction of tidal flow. Exceptions apply. Follow the bridge operator's announcements over the Public Address System (PA) at all times.
Early and late arrivals
There is no permanent bridge operator on site at Hexham Bridge.
- If you arrive early for a bridge lift you must wait until the confirmed opening time.
- There are no courtesy moorings at Hexham Bridge.
- If you expect to be late for your booking, please notify the bridge operator within 30 minutes of the booked time. Otherwise you may need to re-book the opening by notifying the bridge operator 2-6 hours in advance, as indicated above.