Number plate warning and safety labels

Number plate warning and safety labels help emergency services recognise risks when attending a vehicle incident. Find out if your vehicle needs a label.

On this page

Rules on warning and safety labels

An approved label must be attached to all number plates of:

  • all electric, hybrid (EV) and hydrogen (H) light vehicles
  • electric, hybrid and hydrogen heavy vehicles manufactured or modified after 1 January 2019
  • Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) vehicles
  • Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) vehicles.

Labels must be attached to the number plates:

  • in an upright position on the plates (they should not be attached to the frames or covers)
  • without obscuring any characters or the state of issue.

For more information about how to attach safety labels read our Electric, hybrid and hydrogen vehicle safety labels factsheet (PDF 268.65KB)

LPG and CNG vehicles

Authorised Autogas installers attach the warning labels to number plates.

If the plates are replaced, contact an authorised Autogas installer to attach warning labels to replacement plates.

Warning label kits can be purchased from authorised Autogas installers if you prefer to attach the label yourself.

Electric, hybrid and hydrogen vehicles

Electric or hybrid vehicles must display an ‘EV’ label and hydrogen vehicles must display an ‘H’ labels.

An exemption is in place for light vehicles to display the labels but this ends on 31 December 2021.

Vehicle owner requirements

Owners and drivers must display the safety labels on all the number plates of their electric, hybrid or hydrogen vehicle. If they don’t, penalties apply including a defect notice and/or a fine.

Dealer requirements

Dealers who register an electric, hybrid or hydrogen vehicle must attach safety labels to all the vehicle’s number plates as part of the registration process. Find out more about the labelling requirement for dealers and how they can order labels.

How to get labels

Free replacement labels are available from any Service NSW centre. You can also get them from your mechanic or motor dealer.

Related information

Top of page