The $25 million Reconnecting Regional NSW - Community Events Program will support regional communities to reconnect by helping eligible applicants deliver exciting community events. Applications are now closed.
- Status: Closed
- Grant amount: Eligible applicants will receive an allocation based on their population. Eligible cross-border LGAs will receive an additional weighted allocation due to the impacts of COVID-19 border closures.
- Application opened: 7 April 2022
- Application closed: 8 July 2022, 5:00 pm
The Reconnecting Regional NSW – Community Events Program will promote the social and economic recovery of regional communities, by renewing social connections and providing a revenue-boost to local businesses, following the extended COVID-19 restrictions across regional NSW and impacts of border closures.
This program is funded and administered by Department of Regional NSW.
Who can apply
Eligible applicants must be local councils located in regional NSW, excluding Metropolitan Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong, Blue Mountains and Wollondilly (see Appendix A). Eligible applicants are encouraged to work with local community and business groups to identify priority events. Eligible applicants are encouraged to consider project partnerships, however, only eligible applicants can submit applications.
Grants will be provided to eligible applicants to deliver eligible community events or festivals that will provide immediate positive economic and social benefits to regional NSW.
- be open to all members of the public
- free to attend or a very small fee to cover any extra costs
- have a primary purpose of reconnecting communities and improving social cohesion of the local community.
Who can’t apply
Local councils must be located in regional NSW, excluding Metropolitan Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong, Blue Mountains and Wollondilly. Joint Organisations of Council are not eligible to apply.
Types of projects funded under this grant
Each applicant can apply for any number of events within the one application.
Activities eligible for funding through the Reconnecting Regional NSW – Community
Events Program include existing or new:
- community markets and bazaars
- festivals and fairs
- sporting events
- food and leisure events
- recovery events
- community classes and workshops
- agricultural field days (run by community organisations)
- regional racing carnivals (e.g. horse or greyhound racing) run by community organisations
- touring events and theatre programs
- community public holiday celebrations (e.g. Australia Day or Anzac Day).
For existing events, applicants are encouraged to use this funding to make the events larger or more accessible.
What can’t you apply for
Ineligible events under the Reconnecting Regional NSW – Community Events Program include:
- events with the primary focus on fundraising and charity events
- running grant programs
- business events and conferences
- events where membership is required to attend (for example, club gatherings including RSLs, Rotary, pony and golf clubs)
- country and agriculture shows
- grassroots sporting games (for example, home/away games, local tournaments)
- events with religious or cultural ceremony or celebration as the principal focus (for example, Diwali, Easter, Eid or Christmas celebrations)
- events/festivals already funded by the NSW Government.
Most recent recipients
What your application needs to include
Before starting your application, please read the Reconnecting Regional NSW - Community Events Program Guidelines (PDF 21.5MB).
You can also view further tools and resources and an event starter guide.
Information required in the application includes:
- basic organisation details including $20 million Public Liability Insurance certificate for the event organiser
- proposed event(s) and project costs
- response to assessment criteria
- an invoice for 80 percent of the amount outlined in the funding allocation letter (excluding GST council applications).
All applications will be required to meet the eligibility criteria and the following assessment criteria to receive funding, including:
- Positive social outcomes in local community Applications must demonstrate that the proposed activities will rebuild local community cohesion and deliver positive social outcomes.
- Local business support Applications must demonstrate how the proposed activities will support local business. Applicants are strongly encouraged to engage external event coordinators and local businesses to run and deliver the events. Applications will be assessed as a ‘Yes/No’ against the assessment criteria.
The following resources are available to support eligible applicants with their submissions:
- Reconnecting Regional NSW - Community Events Program Guidelines (PDF 21.5MB)
- Reconnecting Regional NSW - Community Events Program Sample Application Form and Funding Deed (PDF 282.05KB)
- Frequently asked questions
For a toolkit and practical information and resources on hosting public outdoor events, please view these tools and resources.
Start the application
Applications for this grant are now closed.
After the application is submitted
Applications will be reviewed by Department staff to ensure:
- the applicant is an eligible entity
- all required documentation is complete and submitted
- proposed projects align with the fund objectives and assessment criteria.
If successful eligible applicants will enter into a simple legally binding funding agreement.