Created by the Walking Volunteers, the Great West Walk showcases some of Western Sydney’s most vibrant cultural spaces and landscapes.
Highlights of the Great West Walk include:
- Old Government House, Parramatta Park
- Old Observatory, Parramatta Park
- The Lost Rogans Hill Railway Line, Northmead
- International Peace Park, Seven Hills
- Chang Lai Yuan Chinese Gardens, Western Sydney Parklands
- Rooty Hill Historic Site, Rooty Hill
- The Nepean River, Penrith.
The walking trail forms part of the NSW Government’s Green Grid, a network of interlinked walkways, cycleways and open spaces across Greater Sydney. The Green Grid creates green connections from people’s homes to local centres, to their workplaces and to where they spend their leisure time.
The NSW Government provided nearly $500,000 to help plan and deliver the new walk.
Planning and Public Spaces Minister Rob Stokes said the walking trail is a huge win for Western Sydney residents and tourists.
“This is a fantastic example of the government, community, landowners and councils coming together to create high-quality public open spaces,” Mr Stokes said.