Bucket loader: Registration, uses and equipment

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for bucket loaders.

On this page

What is a bucket loader?

A bucket loader uses a front bucket mount to move earth, stones and hard fill.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive a bucket loader.

Conditional registration for bucket loaders

Bucket loader

Bucket loaders need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a bucket loader.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit.

Operators must contact the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator to find out if the vehicle is eligible for an oversize and/or overdimension permit before proceeding with the registration application.

To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Vehicle requirements

Bucket loaders must meet the following vehicle condition to apply for conditional registration:

  • These vehicles must travel in their most compact form to minimise dimensions and to provide maximum visibility for driver.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Condition Code
Daylight / floodlit worksite use only (omitted if vehicle has headlights) TD1
Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving SL1
Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can operate in areas designated in L03, L05, G05 or G093) LO99
Restricted to designated areas / routes OR LO3 + free text
Use only within a defined road construction zone where a traffic control plan applies OR LO5
Use only for farming purposes GO93
Use only by shortest suitable route between depots and worksites (applies only with either L03 or L05) GO5
Overmass (route specific) OM3
Oversize permit (general) OR OS1
Oversize permit (route specific) OS2
If hydraulic steering fitted, steering failure warning device / sign required SL99
If hydraulic steering fitted, restricted to a maximum speed of 45km/h SP45

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

Equipment Daylight/floodlit use 24 hour use
Amber rotating beacon Yes Yes
Brake and turn lights Yes Yes
Headlights, tail and number plate lights No Yes
Rear reflectors or reflective tape Yes Yes
Side reflective tape No Yes
Rear vision mirror(s) Yes Yes
Horn Yes Yes


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code Type Code
Vehicle shape AGP or EWP or RWP

Compulsory Third Party insurance class


For FARM/UFRM, section one of the is required.

Conditional registration - PLNT / FARM

Unregistered Vehicle Permit - UPLN / UFRM

Registration usage PLNT or RDWK (RDWN if vehicle over 4.5 tonnes GVM) or PPG (PPGN if vehicle over 4.5y GVM)
Top of page