Crop sprayer – self-propelled

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for crop sprayers.

On this page

Conditional registration for self-propelled crop sprayers

Crop sprayers need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

Crop sprayer – self-propelled

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive a crop sprayer.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a crop sprayer.

Vehicle requirements

Crop sprayers must meet all the following vehicle conditions to apply for conditional registration:

  • Oversize vehicle operators – vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:
    • NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
    • interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

EquipmentDaylight/floodlit use
Amber rotating beaconYes
Brake and turn lightsYes
Headlights, tail and number plate lightsNo
Clearance lights or delineatorsNo
Rear reflectors or reflective tapeYes
Side reflective tapeYes
Rear vision mirror(s)Yes

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

Daylight / floodlit worksite use onlyTD1
Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle movingSL1
Speed limited to 45km/hSP45
Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can operate in areas designated in LO3 or GO5)LO99
Restricted to designated areas/routes within 150km radius of garage address
Note: Farming contractors are not required to have a mandatory distance limitation imposed on the registration. Compulsory Third Party insurance class: PLNT and UPLN must be applied.
LO3 + free text
Use only by shortest suitable route between depots and worksitesGO5
Use only for farming purposes
Note: Only applies to Compulsory Third Party insurance class: FARM. A Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession must be presented with the Application for Conditional Registration.
Oversize permit (general) – if applicableOS1
OR oversize permit (route specific) – if applicableOS2
Must operate with reservoir empty and in compact form when on a roadFree text
Steering failure warning device, warning label and Maximum Speed Advisory sign required if fitted with hydraulic steeringSL99
‘Left-hand drive’ or ‘Dual Control’ sign required depending on construction, if left-hand drive or dual-control steering fitted.SL6


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code TypeCode
Vehicle shapeAGP

Compulsory Third Party insurance class

Note: If FARM or UFRM, a

must be presented with the .

Conditional registration - PLNT / FARM

Unregistered Vehicle Permit - UPLN / UFRM

Registration usageNot applicable
Top of page