Excavator ‒ tracked

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for excavators.

On this page

What is a tracked excavator?

A tracked excavator, also known as a digger or trackhoe excavator, is used to remove or move earth on a construction site.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive an excavator.

Conditional registration for tracked excavators

Excavator - tracked

Tracked excavators need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a tracked excavator.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Daylight / floodlit worksite use onlyTD1
Flashing amber beacon required and must be used when vehicle moving.SL1
Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can travel in areas designated in LO5)LO99
Use only within a defined area or construction zoneLO5
Steering failure warning device/ sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering.
‘Left-hand drive’ sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicles with left-hand steering fitted

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

EquipmentDaylight/floodlit use
Amber rotating beaconYes
Brake and turn lightsNo
Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lightsNo
Rear reflectors or reflective tapeYes
Rear and side reflective tapeNo
Rear vision mirror(s)Yes


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use


Code TypeCode
Vehicle shapeAGP / EWP / LLP / RWP

Compulsory Third Party insurance class

Note: If FARM or UFRM, a

must be presented with the .

Conditional registration - SVEH / PLNT / FARM

Unregistered Vehicle Permit - USVE / UPLN / UFRM

Registration usageRDWK / RWDN (if NRTC vehicle over 4.5 tonnes GVM)
Top of page