Harvester ‒ rubber-tyred

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for rubber-tyred harvesters.

On this page

What is a rubber-tyred harvester?

A rubber-tyred harvester is used to harvest agricultural crops, including sugar cane and potatoes.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive a harvester.

Conditional registration for rubber-tyred harvesters

Harvester – rubber-tyred

Rubber-tyred harvesters need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a rubber-tyred harvester.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits - contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits - contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Daylight / floodlit worksite use onlyTD1
Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle movingSL1
Use only for farming purposesGO93
Oversize permit (general) OROS1
Oversize permit (route specific)OS2
If hydraulic steering fitted, steering failure warning device / sign requiredSL99

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

EquipmentDaylight/floodlit use
Amber rotating beaconYes
Brake lightsNo
Turn lightsYes
Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lightsNo
Rear reflectorsYes
Rear and side reflective tapeNo
Rear vision mirror(s)Yes


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code TypeCode
Vehicle shapeAGP
Compulsory Third Party insurance class
Note: If FARM or UFRM, section one of the  is required.
Conditional registration - SVEH / PLNT / FARM
Unregistered Vehicle Permit - UPLN / USVE / UFRM
Registration usagePLNT / PPG (PPGN if NRTC vehicle over 4.5 tonnes GVM)

Related information

Top of page