Recreation vehicle ‒ Stockton Beach recreation vehicle area only

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for recreation vehicles on Stockton Beach Recreation Area.

On this page

What is a recreation vehicle?

Recreation vehicles that can be used on Stockton Beach Recreation Area include motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles (also known as quad bikes).

You need a Class C (Car) or Class R (R) licence to drive a recreational vehicle.

Conditional registration for recreation vehicles

All-terrain vehicle

Recreation vehicles need to be conditionally registered to be used on Stockton Beach Recreation Vehicle Area.

Conditional registration gives you limited beach access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a recreation vehicle.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Vehicle requirements

Recreation vehicles must meet all the following vehicle conditions to apply for conditional registration:

  • Only non-complying motorcycles and 'quad bike' type all-terrain vehicles may be conditionally registered for recreation use on the Stockton Beach Recreation Vehicle Area. For use of ATVs by surf life-saving clubs on other beaches see All-terrain vehicles.
  • No other types of vehicles, including dune buggies and ultra-light utility vehicles, are considered recreation vehicles and recreation vehicles cannot be used in any other area.
  • Quad bike ATVs have handle bars and a saddle type seat. Dune buggies and ultra-light utility vehicles have a steering wheel and car type seats.
  • Recreation vehicles are not eligible for unregistered vehicle permits for use on Stockton Beach.
  • All conditionally-registered recreational vehicles require a Vehicle Suitable for Safe Use Declaration.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Daylight / floodlit worksite use onlyTD1
Vehicle to be floated from site to siteLO99
Restricted to a maximum speed of 40km/h or the manufacturer’s recommended speed, whichever is lessSP40 + free text
Recreation vehicle restricted to designated area of Stockton BeachLO97

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

EquipmentDaylight/floodlit use
Amber rotating beaconNo
Brake and turn lightsYes
Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lightsNo
Rear reflectorsYes
Rear and side reflective tapeNo
Rear vision mirror(s)Yes


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code TypeCode
Vehicle shapeATV / CYC
Compulsory Third Party insurance class

Conditional registration:

RECG: General recreation vehicle, ATVs and 2 or 3 wheeled motorcycles with engine capacity greater than 300ml

RECM: Recreation cycle – motorcycles with engine capacity 101-300ml

RECL: Recreation cycle – motorcycle with engine capacity less than 100ml

Registration usageNot applicable
Top of page