Snow all-terrain vehicle

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for snow all-terrain vehicles.

On this page

What is a snow all-terrain vehicle?

A snow all-terrain vehicle (ATV), also known as a 4x4 or quad bike, is used in off-road areas with heavy snowfall.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive a snow all-terrain vehicle.

Conditional registration for snow all-terrain vehicles


Snow all–terrain vehicle

Snow all-terrain vehicles need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a snow all-terrain vehicle.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Only to operate in the area authorised by the NSW National Parks and Wildlife ServiceOL99

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

Equipment24 Hour use
Amber rotating beaconNo
Brake lightsYes
Headlights, tail and number plate lightsYes
Rear reflectorsYes
Side reflective tapeYes
Rear vision mirror(s)No


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code TypeCode
Vehicle shapeOSV
Compulsory Third Party insurance classConditional registration - MVEH
Unregistered Vehicle Permit - ULRL
Registration usageNot applicable
Top of page