Water carts: Heavy rigid or articulated

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for water carts.

On this page

What is a water cart?

Water carts, also known as water trucks, are used to move water between locations without an adequate water supply. They are often used in mining, construction and landscaping to control dust.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive a water cart.

Conditional registration for water carts


Water Cart - heavy articulated


Water Cart - heavy articulated


Water Cart - heavy rigid


Water Cart - heavy rigid

Water carts need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a water cart.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Vehicle requirements

Water carts must meet all the following vehicle conditions to apply for conditional registration:

  • Vehicles that have a compliance plate or are built on a truck-based chassis are not eligible for conditional registration and are subject to full registration and national heavy vehicle charges.
  • These vehicles are not eligible for an oversize/overmass permit and travel under notice Ministerial Exemption (Oversized and Overmass Construction Vehicle) Order 2009.
  • These vehicles cannot operate on any culvert or bridge unless approved by the relevant road authority.
  • These vehicles must not engage in primary production.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration:

Daylight / floodlit worksite use only
Not required if vehicle has headlights, tail and number plate lights
Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle movingSL1
Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can travel in areas designated in LO7 and LO8 in accordance with LO6)LO99
Operate under Ministerial exemption for construction vehicleLO6
Only to cross a road or road related area between worksitesLO7
Operate under vehicle control plan approved by a roads authorityLO8
Use only within a worksite or construction zoneFree text
Steering failure warning device / sign required
Note: Applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering only
Restricted to a maximum speed of 45km/h. Maximum speed advisory sign required
Note: Applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering only
‘Left-hand drive’ sign required
Note: Applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering only

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met:

  • Red reflective tape can only be used at the rear of the vehicle if rear red reflectors cannot be fitted or are not incorporated into the rear lamps. If clearance lamps are not fitted, overdimension vehicles must be equipped with delineators to indicate vehicle extremities.
  • Occupant restraint for operator/driver must be fitted.
EquipmentDaylight/floodlit use
Amber rotating beaconYes
Brake and turn lightsYes
Headlights, tail and number plate lightsYes
Rear reflectorsYes
Side reflective tapeYes
Rear vision mirror(s)Yes


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code TypeCode
Vehicle shapeEWP / RWP
Compulsory Third Party insurance classConditional registration - PLNT
Registration usageNot applicable
Top of page