Interstate or overseas renewals


If you're temporarily overseas or interstate, you can renew your registration by post or online.

Step-by-step guide to renewal

To renew your registration from interstate or overseas, you must still be a NSW resident who is only temporarily out of state or overseas.

If you've moved permanently to another state or overseas, you are not eligible for a NSW registration and must register your vehicle in the new location.

Overseas and interstate inspection reports must state that:

  • individual features such as brakes, lights and steering have been inspected and passed as suitable for safe use, and
  • the vehicle is in a satisfactory condition overall.

The details shown in the reports must be similar to NSW AIS inspection reports.

A letter from the examiner stating that the vehicle is 'suitable for safe use' is not acceptable.

Heavy vehicles that need an HVIS inspection cannot renew their registration interstate or overseas.

Interstate inspections

The inspection report must be issued from a:

  • registering authority in another state or territory, such as VicRoads or the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads
  • inspection station approved by the interstate authority
  • recognised member of the Australian Automobile Association, such as RACV, RACW, RACQ or RAA South Australia.

We only accept interstate inspection reports for light vehicles when you are more than 50km from the NSW border.

The report is valid for 42 days or less if the state has an earlier validity period.

Overseas inspections

An overseas inspection report must be issued by:

  • a government department
  • an organisation authorised by the government to inspect a vehicle to be suitable for safe use.

You must purchase compulsory third party insurance (also known as a greenslip) for your vehicle. Trailers and caravans do not need CTP insurance.

The CTP policy must be for 12 months for light vehicles and issued by a NSW insurance provider. You can compare CTP quotes using the green slip calculator.

Your CTP insurer will send your insurance details to us.

You'll need:

Renew online or post your documents to:

     Service NSW
     PO Box 21
     Parkes NSW 2870

Top of page