What to do immediately after a flood

Steps to help you recover after a major flooding event, once you're no longer in immediate danger.


Safety first

Ensure you, your family, neighbours and pets are safe. If people are missing, or if you're in a life-threatening situation, call Triple Zero (000).

Use the Red Cross Register.Find.Reunite service to let people know you're safe and to find other people who have registered as safe.


Seek medical help and urgent support

Stay calm. Attend to physical injuries and emotional distress. Seek emergency medical help and other services, if required.

If you need an interpreter, call the Telephone Interpreter Service (TIS National) on 131 450.


Shut off damaged utilities

The SES will issue an 'all clear' when it’s safe to return to an area after an evacuation. Visit the SES to monitor noticesDo not go back to your property if the emergency is still active.

Don't enter a damaged building or structure, unless authorities tell you it is safe.

If your property is damaged or unsafe, you may not be able to stay there. Secure your property and call Service NSW on 13 77 88 to organise temporary accommodation.

When you can enter your home, make sure you:

Find out how to avoid risks during clean up.


Secure your ID and other important documents

Try to locate your essential documents and identification. 

If they've been lost or destroyed, you can apply to have ID and personal documents replaced for free.


Protect your home from weather, theft or vandalism

Lock up your home and secure all entry points if possible.

If you're a tenant, contact your property manager or landlord.

If you live in a Department of Housing residence, call the 24/7 helpline on 1800 422 322.

If you can't stay at your home because it is unsafe:

  • secure it and inform local police that the property will be vacant
  • call Service NSW on 13 77 88 to organise temporary accommodation

contact your insurance company to see if it can provide any immediate help with money for essentials and accommodation.


Assess property damage

If you can still live in your property but critical repairs are required:


Get financial help

If your local area is declared as impacted by a disaster, you may be able to get financial assistance from the government. 

Learn more about floods grants and other support.

You should also:

  • save receipts related to anything you spend on property repairs
  • watch out for home repair scams
  • contact your insurer about your policy and to submit a claim, if applicable

Get help for your pets and other animals

For assistance with pets and livestock (including horses), call the RSPCA on 1300 278 358 or the Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647.

For advice about assisting injured wildlife, visit WIRES Emergency Advice or call 1300 094 737.

Last updated:
Top of page