Getting your bond back at the end of a tenancy

You will have your bond paid back when you vacate a rental property unless money is owed for rent, damages or other costs.

Young man seated looking at phone in hand and laptop open on table.

What do you need to do?

Make sure you have:

Now you can claim your refund using Rental Bonds Online. Your landlord or agent has up to 14 days to accept your claim.

Log in to Rental Bonds Online

Additional information about getting bond back if:

You are in a shared tenancy

The principal tenant who acts on behalf of all co-tenants for the shared rental should

  • submit or respond to a claim for refund of bond money using Rental Bonds Online on behalf of all the tenants at the end of the tenancy.
  • distribute the bond refund to the other tenants.

Log in to Rental Bonds Online if you are the principal tenant and need to claim the bond.

If a co-tenant moves out of a shared tenancy and requests their bond refund, the remaining tenant/s must pay back their bond – less any rent owed or other reasonable costs – within 14 days of the request.

Download a change of shared tenancy request form.

This does not apply if:

  • the former co-tenant’s debts exceed the amount of bond money they paid, or
  • the former co-tenant has been excluded from the premises by a final apprehended violence order.

Learn more about shared tenancies.

You have a Rentstart bond loan

If you have repaid your Rentstart bond loan in full before the end of your tenancy, you can claim your bond back at the end of your tenancy.

If your tenancy ends before you have repaid the Rentstart bond loan in full:

  • any funds still owed to the Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) will be returned to them from the bond, and 
  • any amounts you have repaid will be returned directly to you, less any amount still owed to the agent or landlord.

If a claim is made against the bond that you do not agree with, you can still challenge this claim regardless of whether the loan has been repaid in full.

Get more information about Rentstart.

You need to get the bond back before the end of your tenancy

You can only claim a bond refund before the end of a tenancy if:

  • you have a written agreement from your landlord or agent to submit an earlier claim, or

  • you are directing the full bond to go to your landlord or property agent.

There are very specific legal reasons to end a tenancy early. Otherwise, you could breach the terms of your tenancy agreement.

Get more information about ending a tenancy and minimum notice periods that apply.

You need to claim your bond refund on paper

If you don't have a Rental Bonds Online account, you can fill in a ‘Claim for Bond Refund’ paper form from NSW Fair Trading.

  1. Download the Claim for Bond Refund form.
  2. Sign the completed form with the landlord or agent.
  3. Return the form to NSW Fair Trading by

Fair Trading will give the landlord or agent written notice that you have made a claim. 

If your landlord or agent fails to sign the form, you can still submit it. They are given 14 days to dispute your claim.

If the landlord or agent doesn't dispute your claim, Fair Trading will pay your claim after 14 days. 

Your money will be deposited into your bank account.

When and where you will get your refund

If you are using Rental Bonds Online and all your details are correct, you should get your bond back in two business days after your claim is accepted by your landlord or agent.

Refunds from Rental Bonds Online are paid by direct deposit into your nominated bank account. 

Make sure your bank account details are up to date

Woman leaning on wall looking at mobile phone, with cardboard boxes, furniture and pot plant.

What if things go wrong?

Things may go wrong if

If the issue is not able to be resolved, you or your landlord or agent may need to take the dispute to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT). This means that the dispute is out of Fair Trading NSW's hands.

To get help, go to the Tenants’ Union of NSW for legal advice, assistance, and information to tenants. The Tribunal also provides a useful list of links to legal help and advice services.

If your tenancy is over, you can claim the bond back online

You don’t need to wait for the landlord to release the bond. If you originally submitted your bond online and you have addressed all the things you need to do after ending the tenancy, you can claim the bond on Rental Bonds Online.

Claim the bond online

Make a complaint to NSW Fair Trading about a bond claim without evidence

If your agent or landlord makes a claim against the bond and does not provide you with evidence of the claim, this is a breach of the Residential Tenancies Act 2010. You should lodge a complaint with NSW Fair Trading to assess their conduct.

Lodge a complaint with Fair Trading.

Request advice before a Tribunal hearing

Do you have a date for a hearing in the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT)? Get advice from your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service.

Use the Tenants' Union request form

You might also be interested in


Woman wearing pink gloves cleaning blinds with yellow cloth.

Property condition at end of tenancy

Top of page