Leaving care information for young people

Leaving out-of-home care is a significant life stage so it's important you feel supported and prepared.

Find out what goes into your leaving care plan and what support is available to help you transition smoothly.

Illustration of young person stepping on coloured circles

What does independence look like to you?

A leaving care plan is a plan you start making with your caseworker when you turn 15. It's also called a 'future plan' and outlines support you can access to get a job, pay for university or TAFE, move into your own house and live independently.

Learn what goes into your leaving care plan and how to create one with your caseworker.

Five young people standing together and smiling.

New aftercare allowances available now

Applications are now open for the new Independent Living Allowance and Staying On Allowance for eligible young people aged 18 to 20 and carers who continue to look after young people aged 18 to 20.



Unsure where to start with your leaving care plan?

It's a good idea to start your leaving care planning early. Watch these short explainer videos to learn what you should include in your future plan and what support is available.

A purple cartoon of a person with short purple hair and glasses looking up to the side.

Planning for your future

Leaving care is an exciting step to getting your independence. Learn what goes into a leaving care plan and how to make one with your caseworker.

Your story, culture and identity

Your life story belongs to you. Learn how to engage in life story work and maintain your cultural connections as you continue building your sense of identity and belonging. 

Your education, training and employment

Your leaving care plan can help you work towards your education and employment goals. Learn what support is available and how to access it.

Your health, safety and wellbeing

As you become independent, it’s important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. This means looking after your mind and body. Learn what supports are available to help you on this journey.

Your financial supports, where you'll live and learning to drive

Learn about the supports available to help you find accommodation and other financial assistance you may need when you transition from care. 

Your care experience

Your voice is important. Learn how you can make your voice heard and hear from other young people who have had care experience.

Your supports after leaving care

Turning 18 doesn't mean you're on your own. Learn what additional support services are available and how to access your out-of-home care records.

Your advocacy and voice

You have rights and are entitled to help and support when you’re in out-of-home care. Learn what things mean in care and how you can speak up.

Care Leavers' Charter of Rights

This Charter is written by young people and outlines how the NSW Department of Communities and Justice will support those leaving out-of-home care as they transition into adulthood. 

Help and support

Emergency services

  • Domestic Violence Support Line call 1800 656 463
  • Emergency services line (police, ambulance, or fire services) call  000
  • Emergency housing visit Ask Izzy

Interpreting and accessibility services

  • National Relay Service call 1800 555 660
  • For National Relay Service web chat, visit NRS Chat
  • If English is not your first language and you need an interpreter, call 1300 653 488.

Have you left care and got a question?

You're not on your own after you turn 18. Support is available for whatever challenge that arises. Talk to your caseworker or contact the Care Leaver's Line by phone or email.

Follow leaving care

Stay up-to-date with the latest news and events on social media.

Top of page