Half price off-peak travel on public transport
From Monday 6 July 2020, customers will receive a 50% discount when travelling on public transport in Sydney during the off-peak.
The temporary discount will apply to customers using bus, train, metro and light rail services.
Travel outside these times will be eligible for a 50% fare discount:
- 6:30am to 10am on Sydney Trains, Sydney Metro, light rail and bus (currently 7am to 9am)
- 6am to 10am on Intercity Trains (currently 6am to 8am)
- 3pm to 7pm on Sydney Trains, Intercity Trains, Sydney Metro, light rail and bus (currently 4pm to 6:30pm).
The new travel discount will help manage social distancing measures and stagger essential travel as more COVID-19 restrictions ease.
A new $8.05 all day travel cap will be introduced on Saturdays and Sundays to help spread weekend travel on public transport.
Existing Opal benefits remain the same, including:
- $2 transfer discount
- daily cap of $16.10 ($8 for concession)
- half price trips after 8 journeys a week
- $2.50 unlimited travel for Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card holders.
The 50% off-peak discount will remain for 3 months, then a permanent 30% discount for off-peak travel will apply on bus and light rail.
The discount will match the current off-peak fares for train and metro.
Fares for bus and light rail peak journeys between 0 to 3 kilometres will be increased. This is to encourage people to walk or cycle for short distances, or travel off-peak.
All other fares will either remain at current levels or reduce by the off-peak discount.
Transport Minister Andrew Constance said customers are encouraged to take advantage of the off-peak incentive.
“A third of commuters will save an average of $3.60 a week based on current travel patterns,” Mr Constance said.
Plan your next trip via Transport for NSW.