Housing support available for bushfire impacted residents

Published: 9 Jan 2020

A dedicated housing assistance service will support the urgent housing needs of residents impacted by the bushfires.


The Bushfire Housing Assistance Service will support residents who are temporarily or permanently displaced during the bushfires. The service will provide access to emergency accommodation, private rental bonds and advance rent payments.

People impacted by the bushfires can access the service by:

  • calling the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line (DWAL) on 1800 018 444
  • contacting or visiting a local Department of Communities and Justice Housing office.

Minister for Families, Communities and Disability Services Gareth Ward said the service will make it easier for residents impacted by these tragic bushfires to access support and secure a home or safe place to stay as soon as possible.

“The NSW Government has also established a dedicated Bushfire Housing Assistance Response Team to proactively support communities that have been devastated by fires in the Illawarra, Shoalhaven and Southern NSW region,” Mr Ward said.

Find out more about the Bushfire Housing Assistance Service

Top of page