The first of the new ferries will begin running by the end of next year, with the rest rolling out through 2017.
The ferries will look similar to the iconic first ferry fleet but have significant improvements that include:
- an extra 87 seats and the ability to carry up to 400 passengers
- more spacious outdoor viewing areas
- an additional large, walk-around deck
- Wi-Fi access
- luggage and bicycle storage areas
- real-time passenger information
- tables and charging stations for electronic devices.
The ferries are the first additions to the city's fleet since 2001, and will service the inner harbour routes from Watsons Bay in the east to Cockatoo Island in the west, and stop at the new Barangaroo wharf.
An Australian company, Incat Tasmania, will build the ferries.