Replace flammable cladding through Project Remediate
Project Remediate is a voluntary (opt-in) program to replace flammable cladding for eligible class 2 residential apartment buildings.
- Project Remediate is a voluntary (opt-in) program to replace flammable cladding for eligible class 2 residential apartment buildings.
- It offers a 10-year interest-free loan and assistance from experts.
- Financial support is available for eligible building owners.
- You will end up with a replacement cladding that is certified, safe, long-lasting and insurable.
Get government support
The NSW Government is offering support to eligible owners corporations to remediate (fix) flammable cladding on residential apartment buildings.
Project Remediate is a three-year program to help remove combustible cladding on an estimated 225 buildings.
- 10-year interest-free loans to fund the remediation work
- quality assurance and program management services delivered by experienced professionals.
It is a voluntary (opt-in) program, that only fixes flammable cladding.
Listed below are key milestones and expected timeframes for replacing flammable cladding on residential apartment buildings in NSW.
|Capital provider appointed||Closed||July 2022|
|Register your interest for the program||Closed||31 March 2022|
|Remediation work||Pending||mid 2022|
|Loan service provider appointed||Closed||February 2022|
|Global Façade Contractor appointed||Closed||October 2021|
|Remediation scoping and design||Open||from late 2021|
|Managing contractor appointed||Closed||August 2021|
|EOI process for financial providers||Closed||30 March 2021|
|Expression of Interest (EOI) process for program assurance managing contractor||Closed||17 March 2021|
What happens when you register?
Register your interest
- Your authorised representative registers interest for Project Remediate on behalf of your owners corporation.
- We will check if your building is eligible.
- If it is, we will ask you for documents that tell us about the building and the cladding.
- If it isn’t, you will be notified by the Office of Project Remediate.
- There is no obligation to join the program by registering your interest.
Registrations closed on 31 March 2022.
Managing Contractor arranges building inspection
- The Managing Contractor will review your documents and arrange a time to inspect the cladding on your building.
Designs are prepared
- A design team will work with your owners corporation and local council (or other authority) to prepare two remediation designs.
- The design chosen will be fully documented, quotes for the remediation work will be prepared, and you will be offered a fully priced remediation contract.
- A Lannock Strata Finance relationship manager will present the loan agreement and explain the loan and repayments, terms and conditions, and how the funds are administered.
- The interest-free loan contract and loan payments will be administered by Lannock Strata Finance.
Contracts are prepared
- If your owners corporation decides to continue, you will be asked to approve the remediation design and be presented with contracts for the interest-free loan, program management, remediation designs and other services involved in the work.
- We will ensure that you have all the necessary information and documentation required so that your owners corporation can make decisions.
Decision to join Project Remediate
- The Owners Corporation decides if they want to proceed with the agreed design and join the program, or exit at no cost.
- The Owners Corporation is required to table the Project Remediate loan contract at a general meeting and pass the relevant motions to resolve to borrow.
- The Owners Corporation returns the loan and construction contracts.
- Lannock Strata Finance will review your loan contract and relevant documentation and provide a response within two business days on the status of your loan approval.
Contracts are signed
- Owners corporation sign contracts.
Building remediation works are arranged
- Once contracts are signed, the Project Remediate Managing Contractor will schedule the building works.
- Work will begin to replace cladding.
- Residents will be kept updated about the work at all times and will have access to the building and amenities as much as possible.
- The Managing Contractor will respond and act quickly to fix any issues that may arise.
- The building work may take around 180 days (6 months) to complete, depending on the size of the job.
Work is complete
- Once work is complete, a Remediation Assurance Certificate will be provided to the owners corporation. A defects liability period of 6 months will apply.
- Your Owners Corporation will make monthly repayments to repay the interest-free loan via direct debit on the Owners Corporation’s bank account. GST does not apply to the loan repayments.
- The Owners Corporation will levy owners for repayments - although the Owners Corporation can choose the levy cycle, most Owners Corporations issue quarterly levy invoices.
- A Lannock dedicated loan relationship manager will be assigned to you for the lifecycle of the loan. They will be on hand every step of the way to provide advice, support and arrange the servicing and management of the loan.
What if individual owners can't make the extra levy repayments?
- Residential owner occupiers who have difficulty in making their levy payments for their portion of the loan can apply for hardship relief. Read our hardship policy.
- Lannock Strata Finance will review applications for hardship relief.
- If it is approved, a hardship certificate will be issued to the owner within 14 business days of receiving an application with all required documentation, and monthly loan repayments from the Owners Corporation will be adjusted accordingly.
- The Owners Corporation will be provided with the Project Remediate Hardship Policy after your Loan presentation session.
Who is doing the work?
Project Remediate uses expertise from across industry, academia, and, government. The Managing Contractor and Global Facade Consultant have a lead role in replacing potentially combustible cladding on buildings. They are guided by the Cladding Product Safety Panel and are supported by a number of other agencies.
Watch the NSW Building Commissioner introduce the Managing Contractor and global façade consultant.
The Managing Contractor
Hansen Yuncken is the Project Remediate Managing Contractor. As the Managing Contractor, they work with owners corporations and guide them through the remediation process from start to finish, and coordinate all the activities necessary to deliver a safe and durable solution for each building.
The Managing Contractor engages reputable and experienced contractors to perform the remediation work and other services and makes sure that remediation work meets Project Remediate requirements. They also ensure contractors have adequately scoped the work and are able to complete it to Project Remediate standards.
If your owners' corporation has already engaged a builder, they can register their interest for Project Remediate by emailing Hansen Yuncken at email@example.com.
They need to meet the requirements for pre-qualification to participate.
These are the other agencies or officers involved in ensuring combustible cladding is replaced to a high standard.
ACOR Consultants has been appointed as the Global Facade Consultant (GFC) for Project Remediate.
They develop and maintain a pattern book used to design a remediation solution for each building.
They work in close consultation with the Cladding Product Safety Panel (CPSP) to inform the selection of remediation products and systems to deliver a safe and insurable result.
Building investigators assess, inspect and report on the condition of the existing cladding and external wall build-up, including testing.
Designers, architects, BCA consultants and quantity surveyors create and document remediation plans for each building, following guidance from the Global Facade Consultant.
Remediation contractors carry out remediation work including coordinating any trade contractors using tendered building contracts.
Superintendents oversee building works, verify that work is completed in accordance with the contract, designs and plans and provide advice on progress payment claims and practical completion.
The assurance consultants provide compliance assurance and certify that remediation work has been carried out in accordance with any Fire Safety Orders or conditions of approval.
Fire and Rescue NSW
Fire and Rescue NSW plays a key role in the selection of qualified assurers, and provides oversight of assurance certification processes, and assists with the risk assessment of buildings.
Chief Superintendent Trent Curtin talks about the role of Fire and Rescue NSW in Project Remediate.
Information for industry and local councils
This free 2-hour online course is for strata managers and owners of corporations of self-managed schemes.
Strata resolution / motion examples
Owners corporations who join Project Remediate need to make several decisions and agree to several things over the course of the program. This document provides example motions/strata resolutions for your strata meetings (DOCX 54.92KB).
Guides and fact sheets
Resources for owners corporations including translated fact sheets in Arabic, Chinese Simplified and Chinese Traditional.
- Guide to helps strata communities to replace combustible cladding (PDF 1.23MB)
- A guide for strata communities about the government's flammable cladding replacement program. (PDF 764.96KB)
- A brochure from Fire and Rescue New South Wales that explains what to do while your cladding is being replaced. (PDF 887.72KB)
- Apartment owner fact sheet (English) (PDF 84.52KB)
- Apartment owner fact sheet (Arabic) (PDF 140.84KB)
- Apartment owner fact sheet (Chinese Simplified) (PDF 219.58KB)
- Apartment owner fact sheet (Chinese Traditional) (PDF 178.25KB)
- The briefing (September 2021) for industry and strata
- Capital provider appointed for Project Remediate
- Loan service provider appointed for Project Remediate
- Information for local government
- Information for industry
For any inquiries contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org