Telecommunications Emergency Management Unit
NSW Telco Authority’s Telecommunications Emergency Management Unit (TEMU) leads the NSW Telecommunications Services Functional Area (TELCOFA) which coordinates support for telecommunications during emergencies.
TEMU coordinates critical communications between telecommunications carriers and Emergency Services Organisations during emergencies to:
- protect critical infrastructure
- deploy network augmentation
- ensure safe access to telecommunications infrastructure.
The TEMU Operations Centre works with Emergency Services Organisations and commercial carriers to identify potential risks to infrastructure so they can direct resources to protect critical communications assets.
During an emergency response, when every second counts, the Operations Centre:
- collects information, data, and intelligence from many sources
- produces real-time mapping data
- provides situational updates to frontline responders.
The unit operates under the State Emergency and Rescue Management Act 1989.