Visiting or moving to NSW

Everything you need to know about driving in NSW as a visitor from another state or country. Learn how to convert your licence if you move to NSW.

Visiting NSW? You can use your interstate or overseas driver or rider licence – as long as it's current and you follow NSW road rules.
Visiting NSW? As a learner or provisional driver or rider, you can use NSW roads – as long as your licence is current and you follow these rules.
Visiting for more than 3 months? Apply for a temporary licence.
Visit a service centre to renew, replace or hand in your temporary overseas licence – or remove the Q condition if you've become a permanent resident.
Moving to NSW? Welcome! Here's how to get the right licence so you can continue to drive or ride on NSW roads.
If you hold a current interstate licence, NSW will match the expiry date on an equivalent licence for up to 10 years at no charge.
As a New Zealand citizen living in NSW, you must convert your NZ licence to a NSW licence within 3 months to continue driving.
Moving to NSW with an overseas licence? You’ll need to get a NSW licence within 3 months to continue driving or riding. Here's how.

Contact Transport for NSW

More options to contact us
Phone:13 22 13
Monday to Friday : 7:00am -7:00pm
Top of page