Golf buggy: Registration, uses and equipment

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for golf buggies.

On this page

Conditional registration for golf buggies

Golf buggies, also known as golf carts, need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive a golf buggy.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

You can apply for conditional registration for a golf buggy to drive it on Lord Howe Island. Alternative conditions of use and equipment requirements apply to their use on the island.

Residents of Scotland Island are not eligible to apply for conditional registration of a golf buggy due to the road conditions.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for golf buggies.

Golf buggy conditional registration
Example of a golf buggy

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits - contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits - contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Vehicle requirements

Golf buggies must meet all the following vehicle conditions to apply for conditional registration.

  • Care will be taken in approving the use of golf buggies on roads. These vehicles are not constructed for road use and present a road safety risk when mixing with other traffic.
  • Conditions of operation will restrict the use of these vehicles to road-related areas such as, but not limited to, caravan parks, retirement villages and entertainment and sporting venues. Limited road access will only be allowed as a means of travelling between two road-related areas.
  • Elderly people and people with disabilities may apply for permission to drive a golf buggy short distances along roads and road-related areas to a nearby golf course.
  • Applicants must provide medical evidence explaining their lack of mobility and the reasons why they cannot float, hire or store the vehicle at the golf course.

Note: Medical evidence and the reasons why they cannot float, hire or store the vehicle at the golf course is not required for renewal unless there is some doubt that the customer still meets the above requirements.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Equipment Daylight/floodlit use 24 hour use
Amber rotating beacon – only on road or road-related areas Yes Yes
Brake and turn lights Yes Yes
Headlights, tail and number plate lights No Yes
Rear reflectors Yes Yes
Rear and side reflective tape No No
Rear vision mirror(s) Yes Yes
Horn Yes Yes

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

Condition Code
Daylight / floodlit worksite use only (not required if vehicle has headlights) TD1
Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving on a road or road-related area SL1
Restricted to designated areas/routes (specify area) LO3 + free text
Speed limited SP20


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code Type Code
Vehicle shape GB
Compulsory Third Party insurance class

Conditional registration - SVEH

Unregistered Vehicle Permit - USVE

Registration usage Not applicable
Top of page