Grader: Registration, uses and equipment

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for graders.

On this page

What is a grader?

A grader is used to create flat surfaces in civil construction, roadworks and on mining sites.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive a grader.

Conditional registration for graders


Graders need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a grader.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits - contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits - contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Vehicle requirements

Road graders must meet all the following vehicle conditions to apply for conditional registration:

  • These vehicles must travel in their most compact form.
  • Vehicles must be floated if required to travel beyond permissible distance specified under special conditions.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Daylight / floodlit worksite use only (not required if vehicle has headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights)TD1
Not to travel on any road when Clearway conditions applyTD2
Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle movingSL1
Restricted to designated areas/routes (specified in Special Conditions)LO3
Use only by shortest suitable route between depots and worksitesGO5
Oversize permit (general) – if applicableOS1
OR oversize permit (route specific) – if applicableOS2
Steering failure warning device, warning label and maximum speed advisory sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering.
Restricted to a maximum speed of 45km/h
Note: Only applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering.
Special Conditions
  • Customers must carry a copy of the Grader Conditional Registration Vehicle Sheet (this document) because the full conditions cannot be recorded
  • The travel restrictions that cannot be recorded are:
    • Travel along the Newell Highway is limited to 5km
    • Travel in the Western Zone is limited to 75km from the vehicle’s garage address
    • Travel in the Eastern Zone is limited to 25km from the vehicle’s garage address, but travel is only permitted for a maximum distance of 5km within a ‘built up’ area (defined in NSW Road Rules 2014 Dictionary)
    • Travel in the NSW Urban Zone is limited to 5km between sites
    • Must travel in compact form to minimise dimensions
    • Vehicles must be floated if required to travel beyond the permissible distance specified under these Special Conditions, however, vehicles may be walked for a maximum distance of 10 kilometres in the NSW Eastern Zone or NSW Western Zone from the point of unloading if floated beyond the maximum permissible distance specified under these Special Conditions.
  • Refer to the NSW Travel Zone maps for reference.
Travel restrictions and other conditions apply, refer to grader vehicle sheet.

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

EquipmentDaylight/floodlit use24 hour use
Amber rotating beaconYesYes
Brake and turn lightsYesYes
Headlights, tail and number plate lightsNoYes
Rear reflectors or rear reflective tapeYesYes
Side reflectors or side reflective tapeNoNo
Rear vision mirror(s)YesYes


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code TypeCode
Vehicle shapeEWP
Compulsory Third Party insurance class
Note: If FARM or UFRM, a must be presented with the  .
Conditional registration - PLNT / FARM
Unregistered Vehicle Permit - UPLN / UFRM
Registration usagePLNT, PPG, PPGN or RDWK (RDWN if vehicle is over 4.5 tonned GVM)
Top of page